Proposal status: Feedback open until 1 August 2022
Reference number: CSFPU1.9
We're proposing improvements in your area
Listening to what you have to say is important to us. Your local knowledge can help us make better decisions, so together we can achieve the best outcomes for your neighbourhood.
We are proposing to:
- Install a new pedestrian island which is raised on a platform in the middle of the road. This would make it safer to cross the road by breaking up the journey.
- Install new kerb ramps, which are sloped sections of foothpath, so that pedestrians, especially those with prams or wheelchairs, can move easily from the footpath to the road.
- Paint new road markings and install new signs to accompany the proposed pedestrian island crossing and reconstruct the footpath on both sides of the new crossing.
- Extend the broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times) near the crossing to the visibility of pedestrians. This will remove 9 parking spaces.
- Install tactile pavers at the crossing points. Tacticle pavers are yellow guidance paving markers to help visually impaired people to find their way to crossings and safely across roads.
Download the proposal drawing for Melrose Road (PDF 490KB)
Community Safety Fund
This proposal is part of the Community Safety Fund which is a $20 million programme focused on tackling road safety concerns raised by the community. Auckland Transport is partnering with the Puketāpapa Local Board and Ward Councillors to deliver this project, which is part of more than 80 safety improvement projects across Auckland.
Mount Roskill: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around [insert road] are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).