Proposal status: updated 28 August 2018
Reference number: BYL-304
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing the installation of new no stopping at all times parking restrictions (broken yellow lines) at the high frequency driveway of 388 New North Road, effectively removing 2 parking spaces.
Why the changes are needed
Our proposed restrictions would increase visibility and the safety of vehicles moving out of the gas station. Parked cars adjacent to the driveway block visibility and have been the primary cause of a number of crashes.
This project will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
A summary of the community feedback we received and answers to questions and concerns:
- Request to have parking restrictions extended along entire strip (driveway to driveway) to further improve visibility. The proposed length of parking restrictions indicated in the plan aims to maintain a balance between providing visibility of traffic travelling south bound on New North Road for the right turners and providing on street parking for the local businesses.
- Request for P180 or P120 time parking along sections of the side streets that open to New North Road so that there can be some shorter term parking available. We will be proposing a residential parking zone, which includes P120 parking restrictions on some roads on the opposite side of New North Road (New Bond Street, Kin Street, Mostyn Street etc). We expect to start this proposal in October. We currently have no plans or proposals coming up for roads on the other side of New North Road.
- Suggestion to install a clearway instead of proposed changes. Existing bus lanes have prioritised bus movements on this section of New North Road. An introduction of a clearway would conflict with this. Therefore, we would not consider a clearway.
- Suggestion to not allow Right Hand turns from driveway onto New North Road due to concerns that it is too close to the intersection with Sandringham Rd and is generally an unsafe movement to do due to the high traffic volumes. We will look at implementing these proposed parking restrictions first and then monitor the right hand turn movement. If the proposed restrictions are determined to be ineffective we will then consider other options including a right hand turn ban.
- Suggestion to move bus stop further down (to where proposed parking restrictions are) so that parking wouldn't be lost. We have looked into this possibility, however if the existing bus stop was moved and replaced with parking, similar restrictions would also need to be placed here to provide visibility of traffic travelling north bound on New North Road.
- Concern that further parking reduction is not needed and would be bad for businesses. A number of crashes have been reported here in the last 5 years which have cited visibility as a factor when turning right out of the driveway. The proposed length of parking restrictions indicated on the plan aims to provide the required visibility of traffic travelling south bound on New North Road for the right turners with the least amount of parking loss.
This work will happen between September 2018 and July 2019, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays. Our contractors will send notices to affected residents prior to starting construction.