Proposal status: Closed
Reference number: RTV-397
In November 2021, we proposed changes to improve temporary parking opportunities for the pickup and delivery of goods on Woodside Road in Mount Eden. After reviewing all the feedback, we found that there is a demand for residential and visitor parking on the weekends. Therefore, we are proceeding with the following minor change:
- The P5 loading zone will apply Monday to Saturday, 8am-6pm, and Sunday will remain unrestricted. This will fit in with the current P120 restrictions on Woodside Road.
What happens next
We anticipate the changes will be implemented in March/April 2022.
Thank you for helping us make better decisions for your neighbourhood, informed by your local knowledge. Respondents reported an increase in loading and unloading at this location and supported a P5 loading zone to reduce dangerous parking. The feedback from the community also showed a demand for residential and visitor parking on the weekends, therefore we have made a minor change to the restriction. A summary of the additional comments and queries we received, and our responses to them, is below.
- Request for the P5 loading zone to be Monday to Friday and the same time as the P120 parking.
Thank you for your feedback concerning the timing of the restrictions for the loading zone. We have taken this into consideration and will be aligning the loading zone with the same times as the current P120 restrictions which are Monday to Saturday, 8am-6pm.
- Request to paint white parking bay lines 1 metre from driveways 1 to 15 on Woodside Road to help enforce the 1 metre parking rule.
While we understand that the continued obstruction of driveways is both annoying and inconvenient, we find that the installation of limit lines is neither effective, as vehicles vary in length, nor required, as the responsibility clearly lies with the driver of the vehicle. Our policy is that three infringements issued within the last 6 months demonstrates a regular problem. Please continue to request enforcement by ringing our parking enforcement call centre, which operates 24 hours, 7 days a week, on 09 355 3553. We will be happy to consider the installation of limit lines once the criteria is met.
- Concern about where residents are meant to park and suggestion that the surrounding area is not safe to park.
We are converting just two spaces into a loading zone. We feel that this will not have an adverse effect on parking for residents. The majority of the spaces are still unrestricted and can be used on a first come first serve basis. There are also some P120 time restricted spaces that can be used for short stay parking. We would like to clarify that on-street parking is not guaranteed, and therefore should not be relied upon. We would recommend to park off street. Another alternative is to investigate leasing a parking space from a private provider.
- Concern about people using Woodside Road as spill-over from Mt Eden Village.
There are existing P120 restrictions on Woodside Road to ensure turnover. If the parking demand continues to increase, then we can look to extend the P120 restrictions further down Woodside Road.
- Concern about increased commercial traffic activities in a residential street.
The top of Woodside Road is zoned as business mixed use and not residential as per the Auckland Unitary Plan. We believe that converting parking into a loading zone would only have a small impact on the traffic activities in the area.
- Concern that these changes will impact the character of the street.
We do not believe that these changes will affect the character of the street, but instead provide a safe and designated space for people to load and unload goods and support local businesses on Mount Eden Road.
- Concern about the current quality of the street and request to seal Woodside Road as the loose surface is not suitable for heavy vehicles. Concern about speeding on Woodside Road, especially at night.
This proposal is purely to address parking issues raised by the community, but we will pass these comments on to the right team who may be able to investigate this further.
We're proposing improvements in your area
Aucklanders have told us that moving around our city safely and easily is important to them. We are proposing some improvements to your area.
Listening to what you have to say is important to us. Your local knowledge can help us make better decisions, so together we can achieve the best outcomes for your neighbourhood.
We are proposing to:
- Install a P5 loading zone, applying Monday to Sunday, 8am-6pm, at the top of Woodside Road outside no.553 Mount Eden Road. The loading zone will be approximately 11 metres in length. Two P120 spaces will be repurposed for the P5 loading zone.
Auckland Transport would like to work with you to deliver safer roads in your neighbourhood. We received a request from Cordy’s Auctioneers to put a P5 loading zone on Woodside Road, Mount Eden due to the increase in pickups and deliveries in the area. These changes will benefit local businesses by improving temporary parking opportunities for the pickup and delivery of goods.
What happens next
- We’ll listen to all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
Mount Eden: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Woodside Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).