Proposal status: closed 23 July 2018
Reference number: MIP1718-255
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing to make Beach Road more pedestrian-friendly by:
- installation of coloured road surfacing,
- new signage
- removing some parking.
Why the changes are needed
These changes are needed to reduce the speed of traffic on Beach Road, in particular along the beach front at Murrays Bay, and to improve visibility around pedestrians.
This project will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning. A summary of the community feedback we received and answers to questions and concerns is below.
- Suggestion to reduce the posted speed limit on Beach Road to 30kph. Changes to the speed limit are not being considered as part of this project.
- Suggestion to include a barrier between the footpath and Beach Road where the road slopes uphill towards Bournemouth Terrace. Often vehicles mount the kerb when taking the corner at speed. The installation of barriers is not being considered as part of this project.
- Concern that red marking does not have a marked effect on speed calming and the Bauxite wears-off after time. Suggestion to include a tactile or geometric element instead. The red surfacing and signage provides a place marker and message for through traffic to reduce speeds. Hardwearing materials will be used.
- Suggestion to install a bike lane on Beach Road, particularly in an uphill direction. Additional cycle lanes are not proposed as part of this project.
This work will take place between August 2018 and July 2019, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays.
Our contractors will send notices to affected residents 48-hours prior to construction starting.