Proposal status: updated 30 August 2018
Reference number: BYL-312
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing new broken yellow lines restrictions on Moorgreen Heights in Torbay. The proposed restrictions will be placed outside property 9, and between properties 18 and 22.
Why the changes are needed
Cars parked along the narrow section of road on Moorgreen Heights significantly affect the safe movement of vehicles. The broken yellow lines are expected to improve accessibility along this narrow stretch of road, as well as improve visibility for residents exiting their driveways.
The majority of the feedback we have received has been in favour of the new proposal. Many of the respondents have requested to further expand the broken yellow lines on the north side of the street. We have included this request in the proposal.
With these changes the project will proceed to the next stage of detailed planning.
A summary of the community feedback we received and answers to questions and concerns:
- Several respondents have addressed that some residents just outside of the proposed marked area are having issues getting into and out of their drive, especially with cars parked on the north-east side of the road. As per request, broken yellow lines have been extended further towards the end of the cul-de-sac on the north-east side of the road.
- We have received a request for further extension of restrictions on the end of the cul-de-sac, specifically on bin day, so trucks can safely turn instead of having to reverse back out of the street. We acknowledge that on-street parking is a valuable and shared community resource. Therefore, its removal is only carried out where a significant safety or accessibility issue has been identified. In addition, we did not receive any request for broken yellow lines from waste management services. Currently we can't justify a further extension. We recommend residents to park appropriately on the rubbish collection day.
- Several respondents have expressed concerns regarding broken yellow lines at properties with limited on-site parking. Site observations show that available parking meets demand on Moorgreen Heights. Broken yellow lines are needed to keep the road safer, and accessible to emergency vehicles at any time.
- A request to only have restrictions on the west side of the road, where most visitors of the Bush Reserve park. The proposed restrictions are necessary to keep the road safer, and accessible to emergency vehicles at any time.
- Concern that the proposal will only move cars elsewhere, specifically further towards the intersection with Glenvar Road, reducing visibility for turning traffic. Site observations show that available parking meets demand on Moorgreen Heights. Enforcement is to be called if parking is 6 metres within the intersection. Please contact us for enforcement on 09 355 3553 if you encounter any cars infringing.
- Concern that this proposal is not in proportion to the issue and to assess the situation during different times of the day. Accessibility issues exist at the narrow section of the road. The no stopping at all times restrictions is necessary to keep the road safer and for emergency vehicles to use at anytime.
This work will happen before the end of June 2019, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays. Our contractors will send notices to affected residents prior to construction starting.