Proposal status: closed 28 February 2019
Reference number: BYL-374
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing to install broken yellow lines (No stopping at all times) around the corners of Lake Road and Roberts Avenue, extending to 4 Roberts Avenue on both sides of the road. These changes would result in the removal of approximately 7 parking spaces.
Why the changes are needed
Our investigation showed that installing broken yellow lines at this location will improve traffic flow for vehicles turning out of Roberts Avenue, and will further improve safety for vehicles entering Roberts Avenue.
This project will proceed with minor changes to the next stage of detailed planning. Thank you to everyone who submitted feedback. A summary of this feedback and answers to community questions and concerns is below.
- This proposal received positive responses from community members and stakeholders who supported the improvement in visibility that the proposal would enable.
- The respondent asserts that there is no issue with visibility on Roberts Avenue.
Visibility was not the only reason for this proposal, however we did find issues with visibility at this location. Our investigation showed that installing broken yellow lines at this location will improve traffic flow for vehicles turning out of Roberts Avenue, and will further improve safety for vehicles entering Roberts Avenue.
- Multiple respondents suggested that the congestion issues are caused by a lack of parking. The respondents asserted that the proposal would exacerbate the existing parking shortage. One respondent suggested various means to create new parking bays at the location.
Unfortunately, it is impractical at this stage to create more car parks given budgetary constraints. We will continue to minor the situation going forward.
- Respondents suggested changes to the position of the restrictions, including:
- Less broken yellow lines on the north side of the road.
- Additional broken yellow lines between 4 & 6 Roberts Ave driveways.
- White 'Hockey Stick' markings along Roberts Avenue up to the school.
This proposal is to improve the traffic flows in the vicinity of the intersection specifically. We have decided to extend the broken yellow lines to between properties 4 and 6 as this kerb space is not wide enough to accommodate parking for all vehicles. White hockey stick markings are unnecessary at this stage as vehicles are parked appropriately.
This work will happen in with the next 6 months, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays. Our contractors will send notices to affected residents 48-hours prior to construction starting.