Proposal status: closed 5 November 2018
Reference number: BYL-266
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing to install new broken yellow lines on Rosedale Road in Albany, including the removal of 14 parking spaces.
Why the changes are needed
This proposal aims to emphasize existing no parking restrictions along the bike path, and includes the removal of 14 on-street car parks around the westbound bus stop and start of the eastbound bike-path.
These changes are needed to improve accessibility for cyclists along the north side of the road. Currently, cars are frequently found parking in the bike lane, blocking it completely. On the south side of the road, broken yellow lines are proposed so buses can safely pull up into and out of the bus stop.
This project will proceed with minor changes to the next stage of detailed planning. Thank you to everyone who submitted feedback. A summary of this feedback and answers to community questions and concerns is below.
This proposal received mixed responses from community members and stakeholders, with respondents expressing concerns about the loss of parking near the westbound bus stop. We have made slight modifications to our proposal to resolve these concerns while retaining the goal of the plan.
- Just before the westbound bus stop on the south side of the road there is a small residential complex. Residents rely on this parking as there is only 1 spot for every unit. Question whether this parking can be retained.
The broken yellow lines will be reduced between this driveway and the westbound bus top to retain an additional 2 parking spaces. We can’t further reduce these restrictions, as we also want to create space for buses merging into and out of the bus stop, as well as improved visibility for the nearby driveway.
- Large trucks park here to supply shops, and this business is making a suggestion to not remove this parking spot.
This section of road is not a designated loading zone and currently is generally occupied by parked cars. Although we’ll retain some of the parking, we cannot justify making this a loading zone.
- No parking reduction should be made without putting other car parks in elsewhere.
The road reserve has to be shared between all modes of transport. As outlined in the Regional Land Transport Plan, we are dedicated to provide safer and better infrastructure for all modes of transport, including public transport and cycling. This is an important strategy to decrease congestion on our roads.
- Request for this to be P30 instead as there is a high need for short term parking in this area.
This proposal is mostly required for the protection of the cycle lane and improved driveway visibility. Time restricted parking can be investigated independently and will be passed onto the appropriate team.
- Respondent states that they have observed most traffic jams happening at this location, near the day-care centre and question whether this restriction can only be applied 3-5 on weekdays.
This section of broken yellow lines is mostly required for the protection of the cycle lane, on which cars are currently parking. This cycleway is being used by cyclists at all times.
- Suggestion that we extend the broken yellow lines near the 406/402 driveway further east by one or two cars as this will make it easier to exit this drive.
There are existing broken yellow lines 2m past this driveway which should be sufficient for visibility according to our investigations.
This work will happen before February 2019, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays. Our contractors will send notices to affected residents 48-hours prior to construction starting.