Proposal status: Feedback closed 12 December 2019, last updated 1 May 2020
Reference number: RTV-279
In December 2019, we proposed changes in your area
To improve road safety, we proposed to change the ‘Give Way’ control to ‘Stop’ control at the intersection of Othello Drive and Boundary Road in Clover Park. Our proposal responded to requests from New Zealand Police to tackle the issue of vehicles failing to give way. At this intersection, there have been 12 crashes in the last 5 years. Broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times) are recommended to provide a clear line of sight for vehicles using this intersection.
We would also enlarge the 2 existing school bus stops to allow buses to enter and exit safely.
This proposal removes approximately 33 parking spaces to ensure visibility at the intersection and along Boundary Road. We expect these safety improvements to greatly improve safe travel for all road users using this road and intersection.
The proposed changes will proceed with minor changes to the next stage of detailed planning before the safety improvements are made. Changes include:
The 2 bus stops will become school limited hours; “School Days, School Hours (between 15:00 to 16:30)”. No parking will be allowed during these hours. 8 parking spaces will have this restriction; 3 on the north side and 5 on the south side.
The north side school limited hours bus stop will shift closer to the intersection to No. 82 and 84. This allows for 2 parking spaces to be reinstated in front of No. 86 and broken yellow lines are no longer required in front of No. 88.
As per the new updated drawing, only 29 parking spaces will be removed to improve the visibility at the intersection.
The south side school limited hours bus stop, existing broken yellow lines at the bus stop outside No. 127 will be removed and will be converted into “School Days, School Hours” limited restriction.
Please refer to the updated drawing for further details.
- We have received positive feedback noting the proposal would greatly improve the intersection. Thank you for your feedback and we are glad to hear the proposal will improve the safety of road users using this intersection.
- There were numerous concerns from residents regarding that the parking restrictions will negatively impact them, especially when guests visit. We are amending the extent of the broken yellow lines by shifting the north side bus stop closer to the intersection. This will result in reinstating 2 parking spaces in front of 86 Boundary Road and broken yellow lines are no longer required in front of 88 Boundary Road.
We also are converting the two existing bus stops into “School Days, School Hours (between 3pm to 4:30pm)” on the eastern side of intersection. This means that on both sides of the road the parking is only restricted in these bus cages between these school hours noted. As such, this space can be used for parking throughout the rest of the day.
We acknowledge that on-street parking is a valuable and shared community resource and have established the minimum parking removal that improves the visibility of this intersection.
- Numerous respondents made the following suggestions:
- to have a signalised intersection or roundabout instead
- to have speed humps 50 metres on either side of the intersection and additional signs to tell people to slow down
- for more crossing facilities and speed reduction measure.
- Suggestion to remove the bus stop as residents said they have not seen them being used either by people waiting or buses. These existing bus stops are school bus stops. In following the feedback we are converting the existing bus stops into “School Days, School Hours (between 3pm to 4:30pm)”. This means that on both sides of the road the parking is only restricted in these bus cages between the noted school hours and this space can be used for parking throughout the rest of the day.
These works are planned to be in place by August 2020, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays.
Our contractors will send notices to affected residents 48-hours prior to construction starting.