From 18 March to 29 April 2016 a survey was conducted by Auckland Transport to investigate what public transport services may be needed in the Waitakere Ranges area.
The results of the survey are now available:
- Waitakere Ranges Public Transport Survey Results (PDF 1.1MB)
- Piha Bus Service Viability Report (visitors' survey report) (PDF 1MB)
Auckland Transport and the Waitakere Ranges Local Board are interested in exploring the public transport requirements for the Waitakere Ranges area. For any services to be viable long-term, there would need to be demonstrable demand from local residents and ideally visitors too.
A visitors’ survey was conducted by the Waitakere Ranges Local Board during late January and early February 2016. Auckland Transport followed this with a survey targeted at residents of the following areas:
- French Bay
- Henderson Valley
- Konini (Kaurilands Rd, Daffodil St, Konini Rd)
- Paturoa Bay
- South Titirangi
- Te Henga (Bethells Beach)
- Wood Bay
- Woodlands Park.
These areas were targeted because they either have no current public transport service, have limited service, or they would have services removed when the new West Auckland bus network was implemented in June 2017.
At this stage of investigation, we sought feedback on preferred destinations, seasonal demand and what times of the day people would like to travel.
The survey received 356 hardcopy feedback forms and 483 online submissions, totalling 839 responses.
The highest participation was from residents of:
- Huia/Cornwallis/Parau (132 respondents, 13.8%).
- Wood Bay/French Bay/Paturoa Bay/South Titirangi (115 respondents,12.8%).
- Piha (113 respondents, 12%).
Survey participants were asked to select their preferred destinations based on where they live. Feedback from people whose preferred destinations could be accommodated by the same route were analysed together.
The popularity and likelihood of using a public transport service was the main focus of the analysis. The conclusion from the results is that for the majority of the areas investigated the level of demand is not sufficient to trial a viable public transport service. However, two potential routes were identified that AT will be investigating further:
- Piha to Glen Eden via Waiatarua and Oratia.
- Huia to New Lynn.
For detailed information about the results, including the two potential routes specified above, please refer to the Survey Summary Report.
The next steps from the survey, which will be undertaken after the New Network’s implementation is completed in the second half of 2018, include:
- Working with the Waitakere Ranges Local Board to investigate funding options for the two potential new routes.
- Investigating the options for alternative public transport solutions such as a mini van, online booking system and on-demand services.
- Exploring the two route options in more detail with a view to progressing to trial services.