Proposal status: Feedback open until 29 April 2022
Reference number: MIP1920-049
We're proposing improvements in your area
In May 2021, we proposed to improve pedestrian safety by installing a raised zebra crossing outside of no.79 Glendale Road, Glen Eden. We have listened to the community feedback that we received on the project, and we are now proposing to install the raised zebra crossing at a new location outside of no.95 Glendale Road.
We are proposing to:
- Install a new raised zebra crossing on a Swedish-style raised table. The Swedish table will be flat and wide with a gradual slop at one end that will make it comfortable for vehicles to travel over at an appropriate speed. The crossing will have tactile pavers which are yellow guidance paving markers that help visually impaired people to find their way to the crossing and safely cross the road.
- Relocate the bus stops to outside no.91 and no.96 Glendale Road. The bus stops will be complete with a bus shelter.
- Paint broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times) on either side of the crossing and the bus stops to ensure sightlines are maintained and support safe bus operations. This will remove approximately 11 on-street parking spaces to improve visibility for both drivers and pedestrians.
- Re-build the footpath and build out the kerb to facilitate safe pedestrian access to the new crossing.
- Install new signage to ensure that drivers are aware of the upcoming raised crossing.
- Install new streetlights to ensure that pedestrians are visible to drivers during low lit hours of the day.
In May 2021, the community informed us that they felt that the crossing would be more beneficial for pedestrians if it was installed between no.91 and no.97 Glendale Road. We listened to community feedback and re-investigated the pedestrian crossing demand at this location, and found that this was the most suitable location for the raised zebra crossing to be installed.
These changes are needed as there is a lack of safe crossing facilities along Glendale Road. The new raised zebra crossing will reduce high driver speeds near the crossing, and improve pedestrian safety for people walking in the area to access local amenities and the bus stops. We understand that removing parking can be inconvenient, so we have minimised the removal while ensuring good lines of sight at the crossing and safe bus operations.
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it freepost using the address details on the form.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- This proposal is supported with funding from the Auckland regional fuel tax.
- This project is near the Glen Eden Town Centre safety improvements project and pop-up cycleway.
Glen Eden: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Glendale Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).