Consultation status: closed 14 June 2018
Proposal reference: MIP1718-047
We are proposing to install a new roundabout at the intersection of Vodanovich Road and School Road and additional speed calming measures, that will include:
- Minor road widening around the intersection.
- Buildout of kerbs along School Road to the west of the intersection.
- Construction of a raised central roundabout island that is fully mountable by over-sized trucks and buses and mountable along its outer perimeter by large passenger vehicles.
- Installation of improved pedestrian crossing facilities on all legs, including raised refuge islands, pram crossings, and tactile pavers.
- Minor alterations to raised speed tables on both legs of Vodanovich Road and construction of a raised speed table on the eastern leg of School Road.
- Reconstruction of storm drains.
- Changes to road markings and signage.
- Extension of broken yellow lines on the northern leg of Vodanovich Road, including removal of approximately 3 on-street parking spaces.
Why the changes are needed
The intersection of Vodanovich Road and School Road is identified as high-risk, with a number of reported accidents in recent years. This proposal aims to address existing safety concerns at this location, including speeding along School Road and confusion over priority rules at the intersection . We expect that this will significantly improve safety for all road users, without significant impacts to the intersection of School Road and Central Park Drive.