In 2021, to protect access to and from Waiheke and into the future, Auckland Transport (AT) will renew the main wharf’s infrastructure at Matiatia.
This work follows detailed assessments of the main wharf, which indicated that elements of its substructure were nearing the end of their life.
AT’s Portfolio Delivery Director (Projects), David Nelson, says that while this important structural work is carried out, there may be times when ferry services need to be redirected to the old wharf.
“So that ferry services are not affected by the work, AT has identified some changes that can be made to the old wharf at Matiatia so that it can be used as a substitute berthing location for ferries in case of temporary outages to the main wharf,” he says.
To ensure the old wharf is ready in time for the main wharf’s renewal work in 2021, work will start on the old wharf in mid-October 2020.
Auckland Transport has appointed marine maintenance contractor, STF, to complete this work at the old wharf.
The work includes:
- Four new concrete-filled, steel piles embedded 4 meters into the underlying rock
- A new steel pontoon.
- Adding float boxes at each end of the existing pontoon to increase its buoyancy.
- New fender piles to extend the life of the structure and provide added protection from damage.
- Flipping the existing gangway to face the other direction, on the same side of the wharf, to allow ferries to safely berth.
- Removing a section of the wharf’s deck to allow the gangway to fit after it is flipped.
- Adding a new platform and ramp structure so that the wharf is safely accessible for all users.
The work on the old wharf is expected to be finished in mid-December 2020, weather dependant, in time for the peak summer season.
The northern side of the old wharf will remain available for use throughout this work. The southern side of the old wharf will be closed to allow this important structural work to be completed safely.
In a separate project, the construction of new toilets at the Matiatia ferry terminal will start on site in November. After the new toilets have been completed, the existing toilets will be refurbished.