The Regional Land Transport Plan (RLTP) is a plan of how transport delivery agencies intend to respond to growth and other challenges facing Auckland over the next 10 years. It includes a 10-year prioritised delivery programme of transport services and activities.
Auckland’s Regional Transport Committee adopted the latest version of the RLTP on 2 July 2015.
- Find out more about the RLTP.
- Download the full document.
- Find out more about the public consultation that shaped the RLTP.
Last updated: 1 October 2015, see all updates.
The RLTP forms part of the National Land Transport Programme and represents the combined intentions of AT, the NZ Transport Agency, and KiwiRail.
It sets out a programme of transport improvements for Auckland that will make real progress towards reducing congestion, improving freight reliability, and increasing the attractiveness of public transport.
It is a statutory requirement that the NZ Transport Agency and AT revise the RLTP every 3 years.
The RLTP transport programme is funded from the following sources:
- The NZ Transport Agency funds State Highway improvements.
- KiwiRail funds improvements to the rail lines.
- Funding from Auckland Council.
- The NZ Transport Agency investment (through the National Land Transport Fund) in local road, public transport and other transport activities delivered by AT. The NZ Transport Agency can only contribute towards activities that include a local contribution from Auckland Council.
- AT revenue including public transport fares, advertising, income from land held for future transport needs, parking charges and enforcement.
Regional land Transport Plan 2015 - 2018
- Download the Regional Land Transport Plan 2015 - 2018 (PDF 5MB)
- Accessible version of the Regional Land Transport Plan 2015 - 2018 (HTML 783KB)
- Accessible large print version of the Regional Land Transport Plan 2015 - 2018 (PDF 3.33MB)
- Accessible version of the Regional Land Transport Plan 2015 - 2018 (Txt 300KB)
- Regional Land Transport Plan and 10-year budget consultation report (PDF 764KB)
- Auckland Council’s 10-year budget.
1 October 2015
Accessible versions of the Regional Land Transport Plan 2015 - 2018 available.
29 July 2015
Regional Land Transport Plan 2015 - 2018 available.
2 July 2015
Auckland’s Regional Transport Committee (which comprises representatives from AT and the NZ Transport Agency) adopted the latest version of the Regional Land Transport Plan (RLTP) on 2 July 2015.
The public engagement on the RLTP was combined with Auckland Council’s 10-year budget. Public feedback was sought from 23 January - 16 March 2015. There was a high response rate with:
- over 27,000 written submissions received,
- 1,354 submissions received through social media,
- over 1,400 Aucklanders attending 37 Have Your Say events to share their views in person.
The feedback was carefully analysed and the key transport themes identified were that submitters want:
- more convenient, reliable and quicker public transport services,
- safer walking and cycling facilities,
- more funding for public transport, walking and cycling,
- more investment in transport in Auckland, but there were mixed views on how to raise the additional funds required.