What is car share?
Car share provides greater flexibility over shorter distances than traditional car rentals and operates much like e-scooters. Members unlock cars parked around town using a smartphone or website and take them where they need to go.
Benefits of car share in Auckland
- Research has shown that a single car share vehicle can replace between 3 to 15 private vehicles that would otherwise compete for local road space and parking.
- Sharing vehicles increases the efficiency of car based travel, reducing costs to households and the city overall.
Benefits for customers
- Car share provides a convenient alternative to the expense of owning and maintaining a private vehicle.
- Operators often offer a single rate to cover all the expenses of using a vehicle, including the parking costs.
- Convenient access is provided via a smartphone or website.
- Approved car share vehicles have parking privileges in busy areas of the city which encourages their use.
Auckland Transport on-street car share policy
Auckland Transport sees the benefit of providing opportunities for sharing vehicles for certain trips.
The AT On-street Car Share Policy has been developed to enable multiple operators to compete in the Auckland market, which increases transport options for those who need them.
A number of operators have expressed interest in working with Auckland Transport to provide these services to customers. This will enhance and build upon the existing car share operation and satisfy the growing demand for car sharing services in Auckland.
- Read Auckland Transport's current on-street car share policy (1.03MB, 16 pages).
- Submit an expression of interest for approval as a on-street car share operator under the AT Traffic Bylaw 2012.
EV car share spaces at Downtown car park
Auckland Transport (AT) is committed to reducing both carbon and congestion in Auckland. To help achieve these aims AT is fitting out 22 premium spaces at the Downtown car park with power connections. AT is seeking expressions of interest from EV Car Share operators who want to lease spaces from AT. Submit an expression of interest below.
Submit your expression of interest
For general enquiries or expression of interest as a car share operator, please fill out the form below.
You may also be interested in:
We are working to improve sustainable transport options for Aucklanders.