Safe School Travel Plans aim to promote active transport for school travel and improve road safety around schools.
A Safe School Travel Plan is an action plan for road safety and active transport that is delivered in partnership with the school community, Auckland Transport, Auckland Council, NZ Police, NZTA and other organisations.
- Road safety education.
- Promotional activities that encourage carpooling, walking, cycling and public transport.
- Cyclist education.
- Traffic calming.
- Safer routes for pedestrians.
- Walking School Buses (WSB).
- Parking restrictions.
Download the Safe School Travel Plans brochure (PDF 164KB).
How Safe School Travel Plans make a difference
School travel causes major traffic jams in Auckland. Every morning close to 260,000 children travel to Auckland schools; over half these trips are made by car.
There have been 48% fewer crashes involving pedestrians around Travelwise schools, and more than $132m has been spent on safety infrastructure such as pedestrian and cycling improvements.
Safe School Travel Plans, developed as part of the Travelwise programme, have helped:
- Reduce car travel by 4.76 per cent taking 7,205 car trips off the road in the mornings.
- Save 2,596,000kms in car travel, about $20.35m a year on congestion, and about 150,000 litres of fuel.
- Reduce CO 2 emissions by 735 tonnes each year.