Avondale Town Centre footpath improvements Avondale Town Centre footpath improvements
We are replacing the footpath pavers with concrete in the town centre to improve safety.
Project status: Construction Stage 2, July to October 2022
Project zone: Central
Working with the Whau Local Board, AT will be replacing the pavers throughout the town centre to improve safety. The current pavers get slippery when wet, and have caused a number of accidents and near-misses.
We are also taking this opportunity to
- improve pedestrian crossing points for the visually impaired
- replace the existing streetlights with new and efficient LED lights.
- Install new bicycle racks
- Update some of the rubbish bins
The work is being completed in different stages, in alignment with availability of funding.
You can see the stages outlined on the map below.
- The lighting upgrade for this section of the footpath was completed in December 2020
- Stage one of the footpath upgrade was delivered February 2021.
- This section was originally scheduled for June to August 2021. There have been significant delays to this project, due to the loss of funding as part of the Auckland Council 2020/2021 emergency budget.
- When funding was restored in late 2021, we updated designs and engaged with a contractor to undertake the streetlight pole upgrade.
- Street lights had to be upgraded before the paving work, as poles are located in the footpath. The streetlight works were then delayed, as there were streetlight poles issues caused by COVID-19.
- Lighting upgrades began in July 2022, and should be completed in September 2022. This includes power supply works which is under the pavement.
- Stage 2 of the paving replacement will commence once the power supply works are complete. This is scheduled from September to October 2022.
Eke Panuku Development
Eke Panuku will renew the section of the footpath adjacent to their development.
The town centre will remain open and access to shops and businesses will be maintained during the works. We encourage people to plan ahead, allow a little more time when visiting the town centre during the works.
The work will be completed in sections to minimise any disruption to business. We will work with the Business Association to notify business owners.