Collingwood Street, Freemans Bay - Traffic calming trial Collingwood Street, Freemans Bay - Traffic calming trial
We are moving to permanent installation following the traffic calming trial on Collingwood Street.
This project is another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).
Proposal status: Closed - funding dependent, we expect construction to take place in early 2022. Last updated 18 October 2021
Project zone: Central.
When work started on the Franklin Road Improvements project, people used Collingwood Street as a through road to bypass the roadworks and get to and from the city centre. This increased traffic on Collingwood Street, mainly during peak hours.
After the Franklin Road Improvements project was finished, Hepburn Street was temporarily closed for the Freemans Bay Stormwater Network Separation project, again pushing traffic onto Collingwood Street.
AT has been working with Collingwood Street residents to address safety concerns due to the increased traffic. After engaging with residents and affected parties, we implemented traffic calming measures to reduce traffic volumes and speeds on Collingwood Street. To date, we have implemented five phases of this traffic calming trial. Our most recent phase sought feedback on three possible permanent options for Collingwood Street.
Phase 5 has been developed based on feedback from residents and affected parties to date.
Following phase 5 we reviewed all feedback received and determined the final design based on a combination of this feedback, along with evaluation of data collected. Option 1 has been selected in order to optimise speed reduction and lower traffic volumes.
The current temporary measures will remain in place until the permanent layout is constructed. We expect construction will take place in early 2022, funding dependent.
We will inform residents and affected parties of this decision.
Details of the trial phases
Phase 1 trial - from July to August 2020
At the Collingwood Street intersection with Ponsonby Road:
- new signs indicating 'no entry' into Collingwood Street from Ponsonby Road
- planter boxes installed to physically restrict motorists from turning left or right into Collingwood Street from Ponsonby Road
- Flexi-posts are installed to ensure motorists don’t park within the restricted space while still allowing for north/south pedestrian movements.
Download the Collingwood Street drawing for phase 1 (PDF 939KB)
Phase 2 trial - from September 2020 to January 2021
Along the length of Collingwood Street:
- planter boxes installed at the Collingwood and Wellington streets intersection to reduce entry and exit speeds
- planter boxes installed at three different locations to narrow road and ensure slower speeds
- flexi-posts installed with the planter boxes in the immediate vicinity to the Heke and Collingwood streets intersection to ensure slower speeds
- new road markings and signs to increase awareness of planter boxes.
Download the Collingwood Street drawing for phase 2 (PDF 1.28MB)
Phase 3 trial - from January 2021 to March 2021
Along the length of Collingwood Street:
- rubber speed humps installed at two locations on Collingwood Street and three locations on Heke Street
- two planter boxes were removed from 12 and 36 Collingwood Street
- centreline and Flexi-posts at 12 and 36 Collingwood Street to replicate the narrowing layout in the immediate vicinity to the Heke and Collingwood streets intersection
- edge lines relocated to increase awareness of planter boxes
- three new signs to increase awareness of rubber speed humps in Heke and Collingwood streets.
Download the Collingwood Street drawing for phase 3 (PDF 1.52MB)
Phase 4 - March to June 2021
Along the length of Collingwood Street we have:
- retained traffic calming measures, road markings and signs at the Ponsonby Road and Wellington Street intersections with Collingwood Street
- removed all other traffic calming measures, road markings and signs from Collingwood and Heke streets apart from the Ponsonby and Wellington Street intersection.
We have installed traffic counters at specific locations on Collingwood, Heke and Anglesea streets so we can measure traffic along Collingwood Street to determine if the traffic calming measures are working.
Download the Collingwood Street drawing for phase 4 (PDF 842KB)
Phase 5 - August to September 2021
- We sought feedback on three designs for permanent designs from 16 August to 5 September 2021
- Download the Collingwood Street drawing for phase 5 Option 1 (PDF 2.33MB)
- Download the Collingwood Street drawing for phase 5 Option 2 (PDF 5.46MB)
- Download the Collingwood Street drawing for phase 5 Option 3 (PDF 5.41MB)
- Download the public feedback report on phase 5 (PDF 664KB)