Toroa Terrace, Mount Albert – Broken Yellow Lines Toroa Terrace, Mount Albert – Broken Yellow Lines
Proposal status: Feedback closed until 27 May 2021
Reference number: BYL-506
In May 2021, we proposed changes to reduce congestion and improve access for residents at Toroa Terrace, Mt Albert. After reviewing all the feedback we received, we are proceeding with the work as proposed. These works will help support our Vision Zero goal.
What happens next
We anticipate the broken yellow lines will be installed in September/October 2021.
Thank you for helping us make better decisions for your neighbourhood, informed by your local knowledge. A summary of your feedback and our responses to community questions is below.
- Concern that congestion on Toroa Terrace is caused by vehicles parked on the northern side of the road. We are confident that the removal of parking on one side of the road will remove congestion along Toroa Terrace as traffic will be able to pass freely. The proposed intervention has been found to be effective in other narrow streets with access issues.
- Concerns that there are very few available parking spaces on the south side of Toroa Terrace. We understand removing parking can be inconvenient, so we have minimised the removal while maintaining good lines of sight and access. We proposed installing broken yellow lines on the southern kerb as this results in the removal of approximately 4 parking spaces, rather than the northern kerb which would result in the removal of approximately 10 parking spaces.
- Suggestion to issue resident parking permits based on the limited number of available parking spaces. It is not possible for AT to propose residents only street parking in this instance as on street parking is a public asset and reserving it for the exclusive use of residents is not in the public interest. Where AT does consider residents exempt permits, which does allow others to also park, it is with a 120 minute parking limit. Additionally, this would not resolve the issue of parked cars blocking access and congesting the road.
We're proposing improvements in your area
Residents have asked us to address the issue of vehicles parking on both sides of Toroa Terrace, Mt Albert, which is limiting access and causing congestion.
We are proposing to extend the broken yellow line (no stopping at all times) parking restrictions on the southern side of Toroa Terrace. This will remove 5 parking spaces.
Download the proposal drawing for Toroa Terrace (PDF 274KB)
We know that cars are currently being parked all day on both sides of the road, causing congestion and access issues for residents. The additional broken yellow lines will improve access and reduce congestion. We understand that removing parking can be inconvenient, so we have minimised the number of parking spaces that will be removed.
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it freepost using the address details on the form.
What happens next
- We’ll listen to all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
Mount Albert: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Toroa Terrace are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).