Proposal status: closed 13 July 2018
Reference number: SAS1516-016.1 (B)
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing to install bus stops on West Tamaki Road, adjacent Sacred Heart College. The changes include:
- Installing 88m and 38m bus stops (AT Bus only) on the northern side of West Tamaki Road; the bus stops would be in operation on school days only during the hours 8-9am, and 2:30pm-4pm, with a parking restriction of 120 minutes at all other times.
- Shifting the centre median strip to accommodate new bus stops.
- Installing broken yellow lines on the southern side of West Tamaki Road to improve visibility for bus entry and exit at the existing bus stop.
Why the changes are needed
The changes are needed to more safely accommodate the school buses serving Sacred Heart College, ease existing operational issues on Crossfield Road, and improve visibility between vehicles and pedestrians crossing the road.
This project will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning. A summary of the community feedback we received and answers to questions and concerns is below.
- Concern that the proposal will worsen congestion in the area. The new bus stops will not increase congestion in the area. The stops are located on the northern side of West Tamaki Road, with one traffic lane remaining in operation for vehicles. The relocation of the bus stops to West Tamaki Road will also help to reduce congestion and improve safety on Crossfield Road where the school buses used to stop.
- Concern that the proposed location of the bus stops will reduce visibility for both pedestrians and drivers, affecting their safety. The proposed location of the bus stops will not reduce visibility for pedestrians and drivers at the existing zebra crossing locations as the sight distance at these crossings has been checked.
- Concern that relocating the bus stops will result in excessive noise for neighbouring residents due to sound reverberating off the recently constructed wall along the frontage of Sacred Heart College. We do not expect the proposed bus stops to result in excessive noise as there are already existing bus stop routes operating in the area.
- Suggestion that the bus stops could be relocated within the grounds of Sacred Heart College. This option has been previously discussed with Sacred Heart College. It is Auckland Transport’s understanding that the college does not have plans to provide bus parking within school grounds.
- Query as to why a parking restriction of 120 minutes is required outside the operating hours of the bus stops. We consider the space outside Sacred Heart College to be valuable parking for community events. As such, we would like to retain this parking availability outside the operating hours of the bus stops.
- Request for a more frequent bus service for local residents. While this request does not fall within the scope of this proposal, we have passed your concerns onto the relevant internal team for further investigation.
- Request for additional works including maintenance work on pavements in the area. If you would like your request to be considered by us for future development works, please provide feedback here.
This work will be carried out by the end of August 2018, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays.
Our contractors will send notices to affected residents 48-hours prior to construction starting.