Proposal status: Feedback closed 30 June 2021
Reference number: SSP2021-002B
In June 2021, we proposed changes to improve the safety of people crossing the road, particularly school children, outside of Beachlands School in Bell Road, Beachlands. This proposal originated in response to requests from Beachlands School and members of the community to make improvements to pedestrian safety at this location. After reviewing all the feedback, we are proceeding with the work as proposed. These works will help support our Vision Zero goal.
What happens next
Construction for the project is expected during the 2021/22 financial year (subject to budget availability). Once the budget is confirmed, we will be in touch with local residents and business prior to any construction taking place.
Thank you for adding your voice to this consultation. Your local knowledge has helped us make this decision for your neighbourhood.
The majority of feedback we received was in support of this proposal. In their feedback, respondents reported that vehicle speeds are an issue at this location, and that they felt the existing crossing facilities were not safe enough for children walking to and from school.
A summary of the additional comments and queries we received, and our responses, are below:
- Concern that parking removal will inconvenience residents, as well as parents completing school pick up and drop off. Concerns that lack of parking may result in unsafe behaviours, such as parents stopping in the street and children running across the street when exiting/entering vehicles.
The broken yellow line parking restrictions are needed to improve the visibility of pedestrians at the crossing points. We understand that parking removal can be an inconvenience, so we have minimised the extent of the parking removal while still ensuring adequate visibility is maintained and current design standards are met. There will still be parking opportunities for parents to park on Bell Road, and Fern Place. Furthermore, it is hoped that the improved crossing facilities will encourage active modes of transport to and from school amongst local families, decreasing the demand for parking at pick up and drop off times.
- Suggestion to relocate crossing to nearby no. 15/no. 16 Bell Road, in order to retain parking spaces.
We appreciate your suggestion, however unfortunately it is not feasible to relocate the proposed crossing to the location which has been suggested, due to the constraints resulting from the driveway arrangement in this stretch of Bell Road.
We're proposing improvements in your area
Aucklanders have told us that moving around our city safely and easily is important to them. We are proposing some improvements to your area.
Beachlands School have asked us to improve the safety of their students walking to and from school, in Bell Road, Beachlands.
We are proposing to:
- Upgrade the existing school crossing at 14 Bell Road, with a raised zebra crossing. This would result in the loss of one parking space.
- Extend the footpaths and installing tactile pavers, which are yellow guidance paving markers that help visually impaired people find their way to the crossing and safely cross the road.
- Install a new crossing on the western kerb and relocating the existing pram crossing on the eastern kerb of Fern Place, near the intersection with Bell Road. This would involve extending the footpath on the southern side of Fern Place and fitting tactile pavers.
- Extend the broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times) parking restrictions at the crossings on Fern Place to improve the pedestrian visibility at this intersection. This would result in the loss of six parking spaces.
- Install new reflective road markings to guide drivers of the changes to the alignment of the road on approach to the crossing.
- Update road markings and signage to reflect these changes.
- Minor tree and hedge trimming to improve visibility near the proposed crossing points.
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it freepost using the address details on the form.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- This project is supported by the Auckland regional fuel tax and is part of the Safe Schools Programme, which Auckland Transport has developed in partnership with schools, school communities, Local Boards and key stakeholders including NZTA and the New Zealand Police. The aim of the programme is to deliver a Safe System approach to road safety around schools and reduce congestion by implementing various initiatives.
Beachlands: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Bell Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).