Proposal status: Feedback open until 26 September 2022
Reference number: SSM2122-006
We're proposing improvements in your area
Auckland Transport would like to work with you to deliver safer roads in your neighbourhood.
We are proposing to:
- Install a zebra crossing on top of a flat, wide speed bump outside 127 Mellons Bay Road. This speed bump would be raised to the height of the footpath.
- Install tactile pavers which are yellow guidance paving markers to help visually impaired people find their way to the crossing and safely cross the road.
- Paint new road markings and install new signage to support the changes.
- Paint broken yellow lines on the approach to the crossing. This would result in the removal of 7 on-street parking spaces.
Download the proposal drawing for Mellons Bay Road (PDF 1.47MB).
These improvements would provide a safer place for people to cross the road to access Mellons Bay School, as it would:
- Slow motorists to a safer speed.
- Raise pedestrians, especially children, crossing the road to be at eye-level of approaching motorists, making them easier to see from a distance.
- Improve visibility between motorists and people waiting to cross the road.
- Make it more comfortable for everyone, including people with prams and wheelchairs, to cross the road as the crossing is level with the footpath.
These improvements would include removing 7 on-street parks near the crossing. We understand this can be inconvenient but installing a raised zebra crossing will create a safer road for everyone.
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it freepost using the address details on the form.
What happens next
- We’ll listen to all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- This proposal is supported with funding from the Auckland regional fuel tax.
Mellons Bay: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Mellons Bay Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).