Proposal status: closed 4 December 2018
Reference number: RS1617-044C
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing to install a new roundabout at the intersection of Bentley and Chartwell Avenues, in Glenfield.
This would also involve:
- Removal of left turn slip lane from Chartwell Avenue to Bentley Avenue.
- Construction of a mountable central roundabout island.
- Installation of pedestrian refuge islands, new speed tables, and zebra crossings on the Bentley Avenue leg and the southern Chartwell Avenue leg.
- Kerb buildouts and intersection "tightening."
- Changes to lighting, road markings, and signage.
Why the changes are needed
This intersection has been identified as high risk with an existing crash pattern between vehicles travelling northbound along Chartwell Avenue and vehicles turning right into Bentley Avenue from the northern leg of Chartwell Avenue.
We previously consulted on several alternative intersection layouts at this location. Based on feedback and further investigation, we have decided that a roundabout with raised zebra crossings would provide the most safety benefits for drivers and people walking at this location by raising awareness and clarifying priority at the intersection.