Proposal status: Feedback open until 2 July 2021
Reference number: RSU1920-087
We're proposing improvements in your area
We are proposing safety improvements at the intersection of Coatesville-Riverhead Highway and Old Railway Road, in Kumeu.
We are proposing to:
- Install a new right-turn bay on Coatesville-Riverhead Highway to provide a safer place for vehicles to stop when waiting to turn right into Old Railway Road.
- Paint double yellow centre lines (no overtaking) on Coatesville-Riverhead Highway.
- Widen the road to allow for the safety improvements by the right-turn bay. This will also include installing new kerbs.
- Install activated warning signs on both sides of Coatesville-Riverhead Highway on the approach to the intersection with Old Railway Road. These warning signs will be activated only when vehicles are detected on the side road, helping to warn people travelling on Coatesville-Riverhead Highway of the likely turning traffic out of Old Railway Road.
- Upgrade signage and road markings to support the proposal. This includes new advance warning signs on Old Railway Road to inform the approaching motorists of the intersection or stop control ahead.
- Trimming of trees at the southern side of the intersection to improve visibility.
Between 2015 and 2019, there were five crashes reported at this intersection, three of which resulted in serious injuries and two in minor injuries. The most commonly occurring types of crashes at this location are rear-ended collisions caused by vehicles colliding with a stationary vehicle in front that is waiting to turn right into Old Railway Road, and collisions caused by people failing to stop when turning from Old Railway Road.
These changes would help improve the safety of all road users travelling through the Coatesville-Riverhead Highway/Old Railway Road intersection. The widening of the road and installation of a new right-turning bay would provide a safe place for vehicles to wait and turn into Old Railway Road. The activated warning signs will help to inform and warn the approaching drivers of Coatesville-Riverhead Highway of the likely turning traffic from Old Railway Road.
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it to Freepost using the address details on the form.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
This proposal is supported by the Auckland regional fuel tax.
Kumeu: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Coatesville-Riverhead Highway are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).