Proposal status: Feedback open until 27 July 2022
Reference number: BYL-575
We're proposing improvements in your area
We recently informed the community that we are not proceeding with the proposed clearway on Onewa Road at this time. We determined that a full-time clearway would not currently add any significant measurable benefits, and may create additional hazards.
As an interim measure, we are proposing to increase safety and aid traffic flow by painting broken yellow broken lines at several pinch points on Onewa Road. These pinch points are expected to help provide some of the benefits of a clearway.
We are proposing to:
- Paint 75m of broken yellow lines on Onewa Road opposite Aorangi Place. This would remove 5 parking spaces.
- Paint 15m of broken yellow lines between 207 and 205 Onewa Road to bring the eastbound bus stop up to current safety standards
- Paint 20m of broken yellow lines on Onewa Road opposite Park Avenue
- Paint 40m of broken yellow lines on Onewa Road opposite Gladstone Road. This would remove 3 parking spaces.
- Paint 45m of broken yellow lines on Onewa Road opposite Woodside Avenue. This would remove 2 parking spaces.
- Paint 40m of broken yellow lines on Onewa Road opposite Nutsey Avenue. This would remove one parking space.
- Paint 99m of broken yellow lines on Onewa Road between the Northcote Primary School vehicle entrance and Lake Road. This would remove 12 parking spaces.
- Paint 48m of broken yellow lines on Onewa Road opposite the Kauri Glen Road intersection. This would remove 7 parking spaces.
- Paint 29m of broken yellow lines outside 119 Onewa Road. This would remove 3 parking spaces.
- Change the existing P15 parking restrictions (4pm to 6pm, Monday to Friday) on Wernham Place and Seaview Avenue to apply from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Sunday
We would like to work with you to deliver safer roads in your neighbourhood. Onewa Road is a main thoroughfare in Birkenhead and experiences significant congestion. We have identified these 6 pinch point locations as places where one parked car can block the T3 lane, causing traffic congestion and increasing the risk of accidents.
The proposed broken yellow lines at these 8 identified locations along Onewa Road will prevent parked vehicles and reduce traffic congestion caused by these pinch points. Fixing the identified pinch points is expected to provide the same operational benefits as a clearway, but without the safety issues which a clearway might cause.
We understand that removing parking can be inconvenient, so we have removed as little parking as possible while ensuring the flow of traffic along Onewa Road is not obstructed.
What happens next
- We’ll listen to all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
Birkenhead: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Onewa Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).