Stanmore Bay Rd, Whangaparaoa - New footpath Stanmore Bay Rd, Whangaparaoa - New footpath
Consultation status: closed 27 March 2018
Proposal reference: FP1617-026
We are proposing to install a new footpath on south side of Stanmore Bay Road from 45 to 101 Stanmore Bay Road. We are also installing a new crossings and new broken yellow lines on Shuttleworth Place.
View the consultation drawing for Stanmore Bay Road (PDF 1.34MB)
Why the changes are needed
- The project is part of a region-wide programme to improve safety, connectivity and accessibility for pedestrians.
- The project has a high priority because it fills a long standing gap in the existing urban footpath network.
- The new link will improve accessibility to bus stops and bus services on Stanmore Bay Road.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed with minor changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
- Concern over the parking removal on Shuttleworth Road. Suggestion that it will only exacerbate traffic congestion on Stanmore Bay Road. We agree that parking restrictions are not required in places where parked vehicles do not restrict a pedestrians line of sight. Therefore, we shall amend the design to retain parking on the northern side of Shuttleworth Place east of the crossing point.
- Requests to extend the footpath further along Stanmore Bay Road. There is currently a driveway offshoot to service properties 57 to 83 Stanmore Bay Road, therefore providing a safe causeway for pedestrians. As a result of this, an additional footpath cannot be currently be justified along this section of Stanmore Bay Road. We shall, however, amend the design to include a footpath linking the driveways of 55 and 57 Stanmore Bay Road where the gravel segment currently exists.
- Request for additional works includes:
- Upgrading the bus stop on Stanmore Bay Road to include a pull out.
- Installing parking restrictions on northern side of Stanmore Bay Road.
If you would like your request to be considered by us for future development works, please provide feedback here.
We expect to introduce this work before July 2018, subject to further changes in design or funding issues.
Contractors will issue 48-hour notices to all affected residents prior to construction work.