Proposal status: Feedback open until 1 September 2022
Reference number: 20100083
We're proposing improvements in your area
We are proposing to upgrade the intersection of Great North Road and Hepburn Road in Glendene in response to safety concerns raised by the community when using the slip lanes to cross the road.
We are proposing to:
- Remove the indented bus bay on the northwest corner of the intersection and relocate the bus stop, shelter, and road markings to the northeast corner of the intersection outside 4191 Great North Road.
- Remove the indented bus bay on southwest corner of the intersection and relocate the bus stop, bus shelter and road markings so it is closer to the intersection.
- Remove the existing slip lanes on Hepburn Road and build new footpaths and grass berms around the northern side of the intersection. This will require the removal of the existing guard rails at the intersection.
- Install a new pedestrian and cyclist crossing across Hepburn Road.
- Install a new pedestrian crossing on Great North Road on the Western side of the intersection.
- Install 2 new traffic islands and 2 raised speed tables on the intersection. Speed table is a raised section of the road, with ramps on either or both sides, that aims to slow vehicles to a safe speed.
- Paint two Advanced Stop Boxes at the intersection on Great North Road heading west. Advance Stop Boxes are green boxes painted with a bicycle symbol where people on bicycles can wait before the lights. They improve road safety by making cyclists more visible to people in vehicles.
- Extend the broken yellow lines (NSAAT- no stopping at all times) from the intersection to outside 1 Hepburn Road.
- Widen the footpath on the southern side of the intersection along Great North Road.
The proposal responds to safety issues constantly experienced by pedestrians and cyclists when crossing the road.
The changes are expected to:
- Reduce driver speeds and improve visibility of pedestrians and cyclists crossing Hepburn Road and Great North Road.
- Provide better cycling facilities to improve cyclist safety at the intersection.
- Improve the community's access to public transport and their safety while using it.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
Glendene: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Great North Road and Hepburn Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).