Travelwise is an innovative programme to make school travel safer, healthier and more fun.
The programme works with primary, intermediate and secondary schools to:
- encourage and increase use of active travel modes and public transport.
- provide safer facilities for all road users.
- reduce congestion around schools.
With Travelwise, schools create individualised Safe School Travel Plans with meaningful visions and practical actions to create a safer and less congested environment outside the school. Our whole-school approach supports and encourages your school to incorporate road safety and sustainable travel into school culture, governance and long-term planning.
Travelwise also offers a wide range of resoures and opportunities to participate in regional activities and campaigns.
For a safe school travel plan to be successful the following 3 key components must be considered every step of the way:
Schools use student-centred, curriculum based strategies to enhance road safety and active transport knowledge and awareness across all year levels.
- Road safety and active transport education programmes are embedded in a curriculum framework.
- School management supports staff to implement road safety education.
- Use student-centred, interactive strategies.
- Actively engage students in skill development.
- Help students to influence their peers as safe road users.
Ethos and organisation
School provide and reinforce consistent, culturally-considerate road safety and active transport messages to their school community.
- Wider school community are consulted when developing and reviewing road safety and active transport plans, policies and procedures.
- School management actively promotes and supports road safety and active transport.
- School staff model appropriate road safety behaviours and attitudes.
- Review the school traffic environment.
Parents and community
Schools show their commitment to road safety and active transport through their policies, school environment and culture.
- Parents provided with information to reinforce road safety and active transport messages and skills.
- School community consulted to reinforce safety and active transport messages and skills.
- Collaborate with other school programme stakeholders to complement school road safety programmes.
- Encourage road safety and active transport through community events and projects.
- Work with other Auckland schools to promote road safety and active transport.
Since its inception in 2005, the Travelwise programme has contributed to long-term safety benefits and reduced congestion around Auckland schools. Achievements include:
- Over 250,000 students involved in the programme.
- 75% of all Auckland school-aged students attend a Travelwise School.
- 58% reduction in crashes around schools that involve pedestrians and cyclists aged 5 to 13.