Auckland Transports Community Transport team are working closely with six schools to improve road safety in their local streets through our AT Safe School Streets pilot programme.
Project status: Implementation
Project zone: Region-wide
Auckland Transport Safe School Streets looks at how infrastructure improvements, placemaking (the way we plan and design our streets), tactical urbanism (making low-cost temporary changes to our city) and behaviour change programmes can enhance safety and encourage active modes of transport for the school journey.
The vision of the project is to see an improvement in the street safety near school entrances for all road users, a increase in active school travel and a reduction in congestion.
Some of the key outcomes we are seeking are to reduce unsafe driving and parking behaviours at the school gate, to improve the acceptance and safety of our parking officers and reduce the time they need to spend at each school. the programme will also increase the visibility of school children and the school environment to road users in the area.
Effectiveness of measures will be evaluated at different stages as the pilot progresses across the six schools.
- Safe School Streets will make it more difficult to park illegally near school entrances.
- Increase visibility of school children near the school.
- The school gate environment will become safer, and more attractive for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Reduced C02 emissions from vehicles parking near schools grounds could improve air quality for children walking to school.
- The project will be supported with high quality education to increase active modes, and tailor it to the community needs.
Schools involved with pilot
There are six schools involved with this pilot, they are:
- Willow Park Primary School - 13-17 Compton St, Hillcrest, Auckland.
- Milford School - 34 Shakespeare Rd, Milford.
- Sunnyhills School - 17 The Crest - Sunnyhills, Pakuranga.
- Owairaka District School - 113-115 - Richardson Rd, Mount Albert.
- Rutherford School (Primary and College) - 2 Kotuku St, Te Atatu Peninsula.
- Mt Roskill (Primary, Intermediate and Grammar) - 13 Frost Rd, Mt Roskill.
- May - Safe School Streets programme launch at Rutherford School.
- August - consultation on Rutherford School proposals.
Wednesday 22 May, 7.30am – 4.30pm
The first event for the Safe School Streets is a one-day event at Rutherford Schools. This involves:
- Drop off & pick up/park and walk zones: These are located on Gloria Avenue and Old Te Atatu Road to reduce vehicle congestion. At these locations adults will be there to walk children safely to school.
- Restricted parking on Kotuku Street: On the event day, parking will be restricted on Kotuku Street for residents only.
- Safe walking streets: With less cars on Kotuku Street due to parking restrictions, walking along Kotuku Street will be safer for students walking and cycling.
- Coffee and sausage sizzle: As part of the event, a coffee cart will be operating during the drop-off hours, while a sausage sizzle will be available during pick-up times.
- Feedback: This a one-day event, but we will be taking feedback on the day.