Proposal status: Feedback open until 1 December 2022
Reference number: SSM2122-013
We're proposing improvements in your area
As part of Auckland Transport’s Safe Speeds programme to improve pedestrian safety and promote safer speeds, we are proposing to upgrade the raised zebra crossing outside of Ōrewa Beach Primary School. This proposal is part of our plan to support safe speeds near schools.
We are proposing to:
- Raise the existing zebra crossing outside 280 Centreway Road, Ōrewa to slow motorists to a safe speed at the crossing point and increase pedestrian visibility.
- Install tactile pavers at the crossing point. These are yellow guidance paving markers to help visually impaired people to find their way to crossings and safely across roads.
- Reconstruct the kerb to provide a smooth transition from the footpath to the raised crossing.
- Install new streetlights next to the raised crossing to improve visibility at night.
- Paint new road markings and install new signage to support the changes.
Benefits of a raised zebra crossing at this location, where many school children cross, include:
- Elevating pedestrians, especially children, to be at eye-level of approaching drivers. This will help make pedestrians who are crossing the road or waiting to cross more visible to drivers from a distance.
- Making crossing at this location more comfortable for everyone, especially people with prams and wheelchairs as the raised crossing will be level with the footpath.
These improvements will remove one on-street parking space next to the raised crossing. We understand removing parking can be inconvenient, so we have minimised the removal of parking as much as possible,
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
This proposal is funded by the Auckland regional fuel tax and is part of the Safe Schools Programme.
Ōrewa: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Ōrewa are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).