Proposal status: Feedback open until 6 December 2022
Reference number: 20100515
We’re proposing improvements in your area
We are proposing to improve safety for people accessing the local shops on Swanson Road and going to Swanson Primary School by upgrading two existing pedestrian facilities.
These changes aim to provide a safer place for people trying to access local amenities and school children who often cross the road.
We are proposing to:
- Replace the school crossing that is level to the road surface outside 703 Swanson Road with a raised zebra crossing. We have had feedback about the steepness of ramps. For that reason, we’ve made some changes to make sure the slope of ramps at our crossings are gentle.
- Replace the pedestrian island outside 711 Swanson Road to a raised zebra crossing.
- Install tactile pavers at all new crossing points, these are yellow guidance paving markers. These help visually impaired people find their way and safely cross the road.
- Install a new footpath to join the edge of the crossing outside 703 Swanson Road.
- Install signage and road markings so oncoming motorists know they are approaching a raised crossing and to slow down.
This will help:
- Encourage drivers to slow down and give way to pedestrians.
- To raise pedestrians, especially the school children, to be more visible from a distance, to approaching motorists.
- Improve visibility between motorists and people waiting to cross the road.
- Make it easier and more comfortable for people with prams and wheelchairs, to cross the road as the crossing is level with the footpath.
Auckland Transport would like to work with you to deliver safer roads in your neighbourhood.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
This proposal is supported with funding from the Auckland regional fuel tax.
Swanson: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone. This proposal supports Tamaki Makaurau’s commitment to Vision Zero, an ambitious transport safety vision, with the goal of no deaths or serious injuries on our transport system by 2050.
This approach acknowledges that as people, we all make mistakes, however, a mistake should not mean someone dies or is seriously injured on our roads. It’s also an approach that values everyone using the road, not just those in vehicles. It is about caring for more vulnerable road users like people walking or cycling, children and the elderly. Vision Zero is the international benchmark for transport safety.