Ticket and top-up machines are located at all train stations and on the Northern busway, and are used to buy a single-trip paper ticket for train travel, or to top-up your AT HOP card.
Most ticket and top-up machines accept cash, credit card (Visa or Mastercard) or Eftpos to pay for your single-trip paper ticket.
- How to buy a single-trip paper ticket using the ticket and top-up machine
- How to top-up your AT HOP card using the ticket and top-up machine.
- Claims receipt - what happens when the machine isn't working.
What you need to know
- Single train tickets can be purchased from ticket and top-up machines at all train stations, and from Customer Service Centres at some train stations.
- Single-trip paper tickets must be used within 2 hours of purchasing your ticket.
- Single-trip paper tickets can only be used once and only for the journey specified on the ticket. The ticket will take you from the station where you board the train, to the train station of your destination. For a return journey to your original destination you will need to buy another paper ticket from the station you will be leaving from.
- The origin and destination on the ticket must match your physical trip. To travel, you must have a valid pre-purchased ticket before boarding the train or you may be subject to an infringement.
Information on the machines' touch screens guide you through how to buy your single-trip paper ticket:
Example of single-trip paper ticket
- Press 'Purchase ticket(s)' to start.
- Select your destination:
- Type the first letters of your destination or use the arrows to browse through the destinations.
- Adult, secondary, child or accessible
- There is no tertiary or SuperGold discount for single trip paper tickets, customers will need to purchase an adult ticket if traveling without an AT HOP card
Your ticket will show the station you are travelling from and the station you are travelling to. Please retain this ticket for the entire journey.
If you are travelling from a station on one line to a station on a different line your ticket will show the total fare based on two separate trips. The ticket and top-up machines are able to calculate the correct fare without having to issue separate tickets.
What you need to know about buying a single-trip paper ticket for train travel.
How to top-up your AT HOP card using the ticket and top-up machine.
- Place AT HOP card on reader.
- Select HOP money top up.
- Select amount.
- Select confirm.
- Select method of payment.
- If using card for payment, follow the instructions on the card reader screen.
- If using cash, insert notes or coins.
- Take your AT HOP card.
- Select print receipt.
- Remove receipt.
A ticket and top-up machine will issue a claims receipt if it is unable to dispense your ticket or provide your change. A machine will not issue change that is more than $20.
If you are issued a claims receipt you will need to have this stamped at an AT customer service centre.
Please note: that claims receipts cannot be refunded at ticket offices without a stamp. If you are unable to go to these stations, you can post your claims receipt along with a bank deposit slip to HOP Operations Team, PO BOX 92250 Auckland 1142. The amount will be refunded to your bank account.
You may also be interested in:
- AT HOP and ticket retailers map locations
- Fare zones & calculating how much you pay
- Buy an AT HOP card
- Get set up on Public Transport