Sartors Avenue, Northcross - Raised Zebra Crossing Sartors Avenue, Northcross - Raised Zebra Crossing
Proposal status: Feedback open until 9 December 2022
Reference number: 20100522
We’re proposing improvements in your area
To improve pedestrian safety and reduce vehicle speeds near Northcross Intermediate and Sherwood Primary School, we are proposing to upgrade two zebra crossings on Sartors Avenue in Northcross.
We've visited and investigated this area and found that drivers often travel above 50km/h.
We are proposing to:
- Raise the zebra crossings outside 5 and 43 Sartors Avenue. Both raised crossings will have gentle exit slopes to make it more comfortable for drivers and buses.
- Install a new pedestrian island at the centre of the crossing outside 43 Sartors Avenue. A pedestrian island is a raised platform in the middle of a road that makes crossing safer by separating the two traffic lanes and breaking up the journey.
- Rebuild the footpath and install tactile pavers at the crossing points. These are yellow guidance paving markers to help visually impaired people to find their way to crossings and safely across roads.
- Extending broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times) outside 3 Sartors Avenue to improve visibility between pedestrians and motorists.
- Install new signage, a streetlight, and paint road markings to support the change.
- Encouraging drivers to slow down and travel at a safer speed which improves safety for everyone. Slower speeds help reduce the likelihood of serious injuries or death in the event of an accident.
- Improve visibility between drivers and pedestrians at the crossings.
- Making crossing at these locations more comfortable for everyone, especially people with prams and wheelchairs, as the raised crossing will be level with the footpath.
Download proposal drawings for Sartors Avenue, Northcross (PDF 1.52MB)
These improvements would remove 2 on street parking spaces as a result. We understand the removal of parking can be inconvenient, so we have minimised it as much as possible while still improving safety and visibility.
Auckland Transport would like to work with you to deliver safer roads in your neighbourhood.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- This proposal is supported with funding from the Auckland regional fuel tax.
Northcross: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving.
Projects like this one in Northcross are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).