Personal watercraft (PWC) must be registered for Auckland, Northland and Waikato regions.
A personal watercraft (PWC) is a power-driven vessel with a fully enclosed hull. It does not take on water if
- Registering your personal watercraft and
- Transferring ownership of
jetskisand personal watercraft
- Jetski and personal watercraft use and registration guide
- Using PWC from outside Auckland
- Speed and safety regulations
- Licencing a boat
PWC registration is a one-off registration, valid for the lifetime of the machine. Registration was introduced to make PWC owners accountable and also to record craft identification, in case it gets stolen.
- Download the Personal Watercraft guide and Registration Form (PDF 356KB)
- Include the registration fee of $53.50 (plus $20 for registration stickers, if required)
- Post or email your completed form and fee to:
Private Bag 92250
We will confirm your registration in writing.
- cheque or money order made payable to Auckland Transport
- Harbourmaster's Office, Auckland Marine Rescue Centre, 3 Solent Street, Mechanics Bay
internetor phone banking: 02 0192 0122888 03 Reference: 50006589 and your name
- any Bank of New Zealand (BNZ) branch: 02 0192 0122888 03 Reference: 50006589 and your name
- prices are inclusive of GST.
- standard stickers supplied are black numbers.
- if your jet ski is black, let us know on your registration form. We can then supply white numbers.
- you can organise your own stickers in a
constrastingcolour of font of your own choice.
- registration stickers must be above the water, clearly visible and on both sides of the craft. Registration stickers must be 90mm in height.
Registering your PWC in person
Visit the Harbourmaster's office:
Marine Rescue Centre Building
3 Solent Street
Free parking is available on site.
You must register a change of ownership of your personal watercraft and jet skis. There is no cost to do this.
- The new owner must download the Personal Watercraft guide and Registration Form (PDF 356KB)
- Email Harbourmaster or post or your completed form to:
Private Bag 92250
- We will confirm the change of ownership in writing.
It is illegal to use an unregistered personal watercraft in Auckland's waters. Auckland Transport will grant exemptions for craft competing in events organised by the Auckland Jetsport Association, for the duration of the event only.
Both Waikato and Northland regions have introduced bylaws requiring PWC to be registered.
- Speed and safety regulations are strictly enforced
- Refer to the Navigation Safety Bylaw that came into effect from Labour weekend 2014. The Navigation Safety Bylaw is an Auckland Council bylaw. Download Navigation Safety Bylaw 2014 (PDF 4.8MB)
- Enforcement officers may
finepeople using an unregistered jet ski or personal water craft
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 09 362 0397.
For boat licencing enquiries, contact Maritime New Zealand.