Auckland Central – Car Share Cluster 3 Auckland Central – Car Share Cluster 3
Proposal status: closed 20 July 2018
Reference number: RTV-171
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing to introduce five new Car Share parking spaces around Central Auckland, where users are able to book a vehicle hourly through a website or app. Proposed locations include Cross Street, Hobson Street, Shortland Street, and Viaduct Harbour Avenue.
For proposal details/drawings and to provide your feedback, please see below.
Why the changes are needed
We expect that this proposal will greatly benefit inner city residents and businesses by allowing a quick and convenient alternative to owning a personal vehicle, particularly for people who don't regularly use a car. The Car Share Initiative reinforces Auckland Transport’s long-term vision of ultimately reducing car dependency and improving community health by providing infrastructure and services for walking, cycling, and ride sharing. It contributes to our efforts to deliver an effective and efficient transport system that enables Aucklanders to make smarter transport choices.
This project will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning. A summary of the community feedback we received and answers to questions and concerns is below.
General feedback received
- Request to install signage to better guide prospective car share users to the app and/or website. Advisory signage is provided at a number of locations by the service provider, City Hop. We will, however, recommend to the provider that they consider making this signage standard practice at all car share locations.
- Request to bolster enforcement of car share spaces. Our parking wardens enforce shared vehicle spaces as a normal part of their compliance patrols.
Cross Street (1 space)
We are proposing the removal of 4 metres of broken yellow lines, creating 1 additional car share space on Cross Street.
Download the proposal drawing for Cross Street (PDF 152KB)Feedback received
- Request to replace one general paid parking space with a car share space, rather than remove broken yellow lines. We do not expect that the proposed removal of existing broken yellow lines at this location would impact visibility or compromise road safety. We believe the proposed changes will more effectively utilise available space.
Hobson Street (1 space)
We are proposing the removal of 1 general on-street paid parking space, creating 1 additional car share space on Hobson Street.
Download the proposal drawing for Hobson Street (PDF 173KB)Feedback received
- Concerns over the removal of general paid parking at this location. This proposal is part of a wider effort which aims to accommodate a range of transport options. The proposed car share space would greatly benefit a number of inner city residents and businesses by providing access to a vehicle that may be utilised as needed by many users.
- Request to introduce a weekday evening peak hour clearway along the western edge of Hobson Street. At this stage, we do not feel that a clearway is required at this location. Should traffic flows change, we may investigate alternative solutions in the future.
Shortland Street (1 space)
We are proposing the removal of a 7 metre loading zone (currently, there are 3 loading zones at this location), creating 1 car share space on Shortland Street. The remaining 2 loading zones will be retained.
Download the proposal drawing for Shortland Street (PDF152KB)Feedback received
- Concern over loading zone removal. As there is a larger loading zone located directly east of the adjacent vehicle entrance, we expect that the proposed changes will have minimal impact on the ability of local businesses at this location to load and unload goods.
Viaduct Harbour Avenue (2 spaces)
We are proposing the removal of 5 metres of broken yellow lines and 1 general on-street paid parking space, creating 2 car share spaces on Viaduct Harbour Avenue.
Download the proposal drawing for Viaduct Harbour Avenue (PDF 172KB)Feedback received
- Request to instead install a taxi stand at this location. At this stage, we do not feel that this location is appropriate for a taxi stand. We would be happy to consider alternative locations if sufficient demand for this facility can be demonstrated.
- Concern that removal of broken yellow lines at the proposed location will obstruct or limit driver visibility. We do not expect that the proposed removal of existing broken yellow lines at this location would impact visibility or compromise road safety.
- Request to replace two general paid parking spaces with car share spaces, rather than remove broken yellow lines. As the proposed removal of broken yellow lines at this location would not compromise road safety, we believe that the changes will more effectively utilise available space.
This work will happen on or before June 2019, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays.
Our contractors will send notices to affected residents 48-hours prior to construction starting.