Proposal status: Feedback closed 9 June 2020. Last updated 28 January 2022.
Reference number: RTV-293
We are now proposing a revised design that is supported by the Newmarket Business Association and incorporates the findings and outcomes from the workshop and the community feedback we received. Read more about the revised design.
In June 2020, we proposed changes to install a crossing with traffic lights, outside the entrance to Newmarket Train Station at 240-242 Broadway in Newmarket. This proposal is in response to a significant number of accidents and near misses involving people crossing the road, as well as community requests for safer crossing facilities at this location.
Following feedback from the community on our proposal, a workshop was held with specialists from Auckland Transport and the Newmarket Business Association to review how the current proposal could be improved. Key findings and outcomes from the workshop have been reviewed and taken into consideration along with the community feedback received. Currently, the project team are working towards finalising a revised design and we will reconsult with the community once the updated proposal design is finalised.
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing to install a crossing with traffic lights, outside the entrance to Newmarket Train Station, at 240-242 Broadway in Newmarket. This proposal is in response to a significant number of accidents and near misses involving people crossing, as well as community requests for safer crossing facilities at this location. The existing uncontrolled crossing facility, which includes a pedestrian island, is not sufficient to deal with the high crossing demand at this location. This new crossing aims to provide a safe place for people to cross Broadway.
Changes proposed on Broadway
We are proposing to:
- install a crossing with traffic lights outside the entrance to Newmarket Train Station at 240-242 Broadway, which is where most people prefer to cross the road. It aims to improve the safety of people crossing this high-volume traffic and multi-lane road. The traffic lights will work in sequence with the Broadway / Remuera Road crossing and the Rialto / Broadway crossing;
- install kerb ramps and tactile pavers to improve access on to the crossing;
- remove tactile pavers and existing kerb ramps on the pedestrian island and the adjacent crossing points at 201-203 Broadway and 238 Broadway. The kerb will be reinstated at these points;
- add a new raised island to break up the journey halfway across the road;
- remove 2 parking spaces to allow for the new crossing and to improve visibility for both drivers and people crossing.
Changes proposed on Teed Street
We are proposing to:
- reconstruct the existing raised zebra crossing across Teed Street, at the intersection with Broadway.
This proposal also includes relocating and installing stop signs, streetlight improvements, new road markings and adding skid-resistant road surface on both approaches to the new crossing.
Newmarket: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one on Broadway are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).