Proposal status: updated 6 June 2019
Reference number: RTV-221
We're making changes in your area
We proposed installing one approved shared car parking space on Customs Street West in Auckland Central.
Why the changes were needed
These changes were needed to improve opportunities to use car sharing as an alternative mode of transport, allowing car share users easy access to inner-city facilities. Currently there are no shared parking spaces in the area.
This project will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning. Thank you to everyone who submitted feedback. A summary of this feedback and answers to community questions and concerns is below.
- This proposal received positive responses from community members and stakeholders who supported the installation of a shared car parking space on Customs Street West.
- Requests for more shared parking spaces on Customs Street West.
Auckland Transport proposes shared parking spaces in collaboration with car share providers. To date, additional spaces on Customs Street West have not been considered. Auckland Transport will wait to see how successful this proposed space is before thinking about a second space.
- Concern that a large amount of space on this road is allocated for tour buses to stop at souvenir shops, which are no longer there. Related request to turn this into paid parking, with one space as a loading zone.
Auckland Transport considers that with the removal of coach parking in other parts of Auckland, there is still demand for a space on Customs Street West.
- Requests for more bike and scooter lanes.
Auckland Transport is currently working on a design for a cycle facility which would provide the connection between where the existing cycle lane currently ends on Market Place, and Quay Street. It is expected that this will be completed before the America Cup in 2021.
- Request for a shared parking space on Glenside Crescent.
Auckland Transport proposes shared parking spaces in collaboration with car share providers. To date, Glenside Crescent has not been discussed. Auckland Transport meets with the car share providers monthly and will raise it at the next meeting.
This work will happen within the next 4 months, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays. Our contractors will send notices to affected residents 48-hours prior to construction starting.