Proposal status: closed 11 June 2018
Proposal reference: BYL-252
We are proposing to install broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times restrictions) along the length of Melling Street; on the northern side of the street between 15 Castledine Crescent and number 18 Melling Street, and along the southern side of the street between number 23 Melling Street and 69 Castledine Crescent.
Why the changes are needed
This street has parking on both sides which causes access issues for rubbish trucks and emergency vehicles.
In order to allow these vehicles to manoeuvre down the road safely, it is necessary to install broken yellow lines.
This project will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning. A summary of the community feedback we received and answers to questions and concerns is below.
- Request to widen Melling Street in order to create additional parking and reduce access issues. Widening the road would not provide significant benefits over and above what is proposed. Installation of broken yellow lines in a staggered arrangement along Melling Street will reduce access issues, provide sufficient visibility at intersections, and assist with speed calming.
- Request to install broken yellow lines directly outside of the new developments along Melling Street. Broken yellow lines have been proposed at strategic locations along Melling Street in order to ensure smooth traffic flows. Installation of additional broken yellow lines in front of properties 13-31 would result in unnecessary parking loss and would not provide considerable benefits.
- Concern that current parking issues are a direct result of development efforts and that broken yellow lines will be unnecessary in the near future. Melling Street is considered a narrow road and does not allow sufficient width to accommodate a through lane for larger vehicles and parking on both sides of the road. Installation of broken yellow lines will ensure appropriate access for emergency service vehicles.
- Concern that parking removal along Melling Street will result in parking issues on adjacent streets. Broken yellow lines have been proposed at this location to provide sufficient through access along Melling Street. Retained parking on Melling Street can be utilised by visitors.
- Request to address parking issues at the intersection of Apirana Avenue and Castledine Crescent. Although this issue cannot be considered as part of this proposal, we will investigate this issue separately and assess the need for broken yellow lines accordingly.
- Request to extend the broken yellow lines along Castledine Cresent, through to the intersection with Radcliffe Street. Castledine Crescent is wide enough to accommodate parking on both sides of the road and to allow through access for large vehicles.
This work will happen on or before June 2019, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays. Our contractors will send notices to affected residents 48-hours prior to construction starting.