Proposal status: Feedback open until 10 August 2023
Reference number: RTV-483
We're proposing improvements in your area
Aucklanders have told us that moving around our city safely and easily is important to them. We are proposing some improvements to your area.
In response to concerns raised by residents about having limited parking opportunities, we are proposing to replace the existing P120 parking restrictions on Napier Street, Gwilliam Place, Sheridan Lane and a section of Hepburn Street in Freemans Bay with paid parking.
The Changes we are proposing:
- Replace the P120 restrictions on Napier Street, Gwilliam Place, Sheridan Lane and a section of Hepburn Street with paid parking Monday to Friday between 8am - 6pm.
- The proposed parking fee is $2 per hour for the first 2 hours and $4 per hour for the subsequent hours.
- The existing P10 restriction outside Freemans Bay School on Hepburn Street (8am - 9am and 2:30pm - 3:30pm on school days) will remain unchanged. Outside those times, the area will be paid parking.
Eligible residents can apply for a Freemans Bay Resident Parking Permit (FBRP) that exempts them from the restrictions within their zone.
Please note that the current P20 restriction outside Rupa’s along Wellington Street will remain unchanged and permits will not apply to this area.
You can help inform this project
We’d like to hear from you about the proposed paid parking fee. Do you think the amount would be effective to improve parking availability in the area?
Paid parking is introduced to an area when the existing parking restrictions are unable to improve parking availability and residents have let us know that it is difficult to find a parking space.
Please note: the extent of the changes or where the restrictions apply are unlikely to change unless exceptional impacts, that we are currently unaware of, have been raised through feedback.
What happens next
- We’ll listen to all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- For more information about the Freemans Bay Residential parking zone, please visit Freemans Bay resident parking (at.govt.nz).
- To check your eligibility please visit Resident parking permits and coupons (at.govt.nz).
Freemans Bay: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around [insert road] are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).