Proposal status: Feedback open until 8 February 2023
Reference number: 20100539
We're proposing improvements in your area
On behalf of Rodney Local Board, we are proposing to improve pedestrian safety by installing a raised zebra crossing on 18 Mansel Drive, Warkworth.
This project is funded by the Local Board Transport Capital Fund. This fund is used to make improvements based on community priorities, which may not be covered by other programmes of work. The improvements will be delivered by AT on behalf of your local board.
We are proposing to:
- Construct a new raised zebra crossing outside 18 Mansel Drive. This will be raised to a platform level with the footpath.
- Install new streetlights to highlight the new crossing and speed alert signs encouraging drivers to slow down.
- Install tactile pavers at all new crossing points. These are yellow guidance paving markers that help visually impaired people find their way to the crossing and safely cross the road.
- Trim the nearby trees to improve visibility.
- Remove the existing pedestrian island outside 18 Mansel Drive.
These changes would:
- make it more comfortable for everyone, including people with prams and wheelchairs, to cross the road as the crossing is level with the footpath
- slow motorists to a safer speed
- raise pedestrians, especially children, crossing the road to be at eye-level of approaching motorists, making them easier to see from a distance
- improve visibility between motorists and people waiting to cross the road.
There is no impact on parking in this area.
What happens next
- We’ll listen to all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
Warkworth: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Mansel Drive are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).