Proposal status: updated 5 December 2018
Reference number: MIP1819-055
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing to improve pedestrian facilities by installing a raised zebra crossing on Inga Road in Milford. This proposal would upgrade the existing pedestrian refuge island, and would also include new street lighting, footpath improvements and a concrete protective island to maximise the safety of the crossing. This would not involve any parking removal.
Why the changes are needed
A raised pedestrian crossing would calm vehicle speeds and create a safer environment for all road users, including pedestrians. These changes are needed due to high traffic volumes on this road combined with increased pedestrian demands.
This project will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning. Thank you to everyone who submitted feedback.
A summary of this feedback and answers to community questions and concerns:
- This proposal received positive responses from community members and stakeholders, who supported the installation of a raised zebra crossing at the proposed location. Comments were made about the improved walking connection to the new bridge and safety for people and children walking.
- Concerns were raised over the safety of cars currently coming along Beach Road turning into Commodore Parry via the exit slip-lane. Our investigations in the area have identified a higher than standard volume of traffic on Commodore Parry Road. We will continue to investigate this area and, if an increase of speed or crashes occurs, we then will take action to solve those issues.
- Concerns over limited visibility of vehicles travelling down Beach Road, due to overgrown trees directly north of the intersection and vehicle speeds. We have made a request to our maintenance team to trim the trees here, we expect that this will improve the visibility of cars travelling down Beach Road. We will also be monitoring this area and will investigate additional steps to combat any further visibility issues should they occur.
- Suggestion that the crossing at Beach Road/Castor Bay Road is raised at the same time to also improve safety there. The proposal to install a pedestrian refuge at the intersection of Beach Road with Castor Bay Road was sent out to residents and businesses earlier in 2018. We are expecting to begin construction of this project before June 2019. Due to a low pedestrian demand at this location we are unable to raise the crossing on Beach Road. This crossing on Inga Road will however begin construction between June 2019 and July 2020, this is due to the time taken for the processes of approval which all our designs and projects must go through.
- Suggestion for us to investigate installing a roundabout at the intersection, as traffic backs up on Commodore Parry Road trying to turn right onto Inga Road. During our investigation we analysed the crash history and traffic levels at this intersection, as a result we found that a roundabout would not be an appropriate traffic management or safety option. However, the introduction of a raised table is expected to increase the road safety here.
This work will being construction in between June 2019 and July 2020 but we will advise if there are further changes or delays. Our contractors will send notices to affected residents prior to construction starting.