Proposal status: Feedback is open until 16 November 2021
Reference number: MIP2122-008
We’re proposing improvements in your area
In response to a request from the community, we are proposing to improve pedestrian safety by installing a raised zebra crossing near the Takapuna Pool and Leisure Centre on Killarney Street, Takapuna.
- Install a raised pedestrian crossing on Killarney Street. The new crossing will be raised to be level with the footpath.
- Install tactile pavers which are yellow guidance paving markers to help visually impaired people find their way to crossings and safely across roads.
- Widen the footpath on both sides of the raised pedestrian crossing to reduce the crossing distance for pedestrians and to slow driver’s entry and exit speeds.
- Re-build the existing vehicle crossing into the Leisure Centre carpark to make it safer for pedestrians by reducing the length and giving them priority over vehicles entering or exiting.
- Paint new road markings and install streetlights, signs, and orange reflective disks to support the new crossing.
Auckland Transport would like to work with you to deliver safer roads in your neighbourhood. Killarney Street has a history of accidents, one of which involved a person crossing the road, and this proposal aims to improve the safety of people walking in the area. The proposed crossing will help drivers see people at the crossing, give pedestrians a clear view of any oncoming traffic, and provide a safe place for them to wait to cross the road safely. The proposed raised crossing will reduce driver speeds and increase pedestrian safety and visibility when crossing the road.
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it freepost using the address details on the form.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
Takapuna: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Killarney Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).