Proposal status: updated 23 August 2018
Reference number: BYL-295
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing to introduce new broken yellow lines and Stop Control on View Road and at the intersection of View Road with Hill Street and Falls Road in Warkworth.
Why the changes are needed
These changes are needed as emergency services and other large vehicles have restricted access when vehicles are parked on both sides of the road.
This project will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
A summary of the community feedback we received and answers to questions and concerns:
- Suggestion to install traffic light at the intersection of these two roads due to concern about speed of cars travelling along Falls Road/Hill Street. The volume of traffic using View Road does not justify traffic signals for this intersection at this stage. However slow markings and islands will be installed on Hill Street closer to the intersection as a part of pre-school development to raise awareness of lowering speed in the area.
- Concern over a lack of parking for residents and visitors. Site observations show that available parking meets demand on Hill street. These changes are necessary to keep the road safer and for emergency vehicles to use anytime.
- Concern over further parking restrictions and pedestrian safety as a result of congestion from the soon-to-open Pre-School on View Road/Hill Street. Parking and its impact for the pre-school has been assessed as part of their resource consent.
- Suggestion to widen roads instead of removing parking by using strip of land in front of properties. Widening of the road is not feasible given the available budget for this project.
- Concern that new pre-school opening will create more congestion, thus restricting the parking for residents further. Traffic and parking impact of the pre-school has been assessed as part of their resource consent.
- Concern that new broken yellow lines will increase the amount of vehicles parking partially on berms and footpaths on Hill Street. Please contact us on 09 355 3553 at any time should you see this occur, with the car details, and enforcement will be organised.
- Request to extend broken yellow lines to boundary of 9 View Road due to vehicles having to cross the centre line, and a request to extend broken yellow lines to both sides of the rise outside of 17 and 19/28 View Road. We acknowledge that on-street parking is a valuable and shared community resource. Therefore its removal is only carried out where a significant safety or accessibility issue has been identified. Extending broken yellow lines cannot be justified at this stage.
- Query regarding whether the proposed Pre-school on View Rd will be going ahead. Resource consents are issued by Auckland Council's regulatory arm. This query should be directed to them.
- Query regarding our plans to mitigate any increased parking which may occur on Hill Street which in turn would narrow the street.
- We consider a street to be narrow if the road is less than 6.5 metres wide. Hill Street is 7.6 metres wide. At a minimum, this width allows two metres worth of parking on each side of the road while retaining a 2.5 metre through lane, which emergency services have confirmed is the minimum space required for their vehicles to have access.
- While parked vehicles may reduce the traffic flow on Hill Street to a single lane, there are a number of opportunities where opposing vehicles can pass at driveways.
- These same parked vehicles also discourage drivers from speeding as cars parked on either side of the road give drivers the impression of a narrow road, encouraging greater care when driving.
- The traffic volume is at a level where this form of operation does not cause excessive delays.
This work will happen between September 2018 and June 2019, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays. Our contractors will send notices to affected residents prior to construction starting.