Great South Road and Subway Road, Papakura – Intersection improvement Great South Road and Subway Road, Papakura – Intersection improvement
Proposal status: Closed
Reference number: 20100456
In October 2022, we proposed changes to improve the intersection at Great South Road and Subway Road. After reviewing all the feedback, we are proceeding with one minor change:
- we will remove the traffic island outside 71-75 Great South Road from the proposed design so that cars turning right can safely wait in the flush median when filtering through the oncoming traffic.
Download the updated proposal drawing. (PDF 900KB)
These works will help support our Vision Zero goal.
What happens next
We anticipate the changes will be constructed between June 2024 and July 2025 due to budget availability. We will be in touch with local residents and businesses before any construction takes place.
Thank you for helping us make better decisions for your neighbourhood, informed by your local knowledge.
Most residents supported the changes. Here are our responses to community feedback:
- Suggestion for a dedicated right turning area (to have signal lights to turn right), as the traffic island outside 77 Great South Road holds up traffic when people are waiting to right into 77 and 79 Great South Road.
We tend not to signalise private driveways as it can create complications and be a safety risk. We only signalise busy intersections, and we don’t expect a large number of vehicles to access 77 Great South Road.
We’ve removed the traffic island from the proposed design so that drivers turning right can wait in the flush median (the painted area in the middle of Great South Road) until it is safe to turn.
- Is it necessary to have 2 crossings across Great South Road at this intersection when there is another crossing very nearby?
It’s important to have crossing facilities at all legs of the intersection otherwise pedestrians may have to cross in unsafe locations. This proposal aims to provide safe access for pedestrians everywhere at the intersection.
We're proposing improvements in your area
The Great South Road and Subway Road intersection has a high number of retail shops nearby, with high pedestrian and vehicle traffic going through the intersection. We have investigated and identified there are safety risks due to the lack of pedestrian crossing facilities at the intersection.
We are proposing to:
- Install signalised pedestrian crossings on the north and south sides of the intersection.
- Install new sections of footpath with yellow tactile pavers on all crossing points. The pavers help visually impaired people to find their way to crossings and safely cross the road.
- Install 2 new traffic islands on Great South Road next to the pedestrian crossing to give people a safe place to wait in between the 2 lanes of traffic while crossing the road.
- Install a sign outside of 84 Great South Road which will measure drivers’ speed and display to drivers. This will help drivers slow their speed down when driving through the intersection.
- Install high friction surfacing on Great South Road to help slow drivers speed as they approach the intersection.
- Install tactile pavers, which are yellow guidance paving markers that help visually impaired people to find their way to crossings and safely across roads, at the crossing.
- Paint Advanced Stop Boxes on north, south and east approaches of the intersection. These painted green boxes provide a place for people on bicycles to wait before the lights. They improve road safety by making cyclists more visible to drivers.
- Paint new road markings and install signage to support the changes.
Download the proposal drawing for Great South Road and Subway Road (PDF 737KB).
These proposed changes would:
- reduce driver speeds and improve visibility of pedestrians and cyclists crossing Great South Road and Subway Road
- provide better cycling facilities to improve cyclist safety at the intersection
- make it safer and more accessible for people walking around the shops nearby and other road users.
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it freepost using the address details on the form.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- This proposal is supported with funding from the Auckland regional fuel tax.
Papakura: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one in Papakura are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).