Auckland Council and NZ Transport Agency are the primary sources of funding for Auckland Transport, with additional funding received from other sources including user charges and fees, subsidies and vested assets.
NZ Transport Agency funding comes from the National Land Transport Fund (NLTF), which is made up of fuel taxes and Road User Charges. The NZ Transport Agency funds both operating programmes and capital projects, subject to them meeting eligibility thresholds. Auckland Council operating funding mostly comes from property rates and some user charges. Auckland Council borrows to fund capital projects, and this is paid back through rates.
Where our funding comes from
- 48% Auckland Council and NZ Transport Agency funding for capital projects,
- 17% Operational funding from Auckland Council,
- 16% Operational co-investment from NZ Transport Agency,
- 11% Public transport income,
- 5% Parking and enforcement,
- 3% Other revenue.