Proposal status: Feedback is open until 24 August 2021
Reference number: RSU2021-051
We're proposing improvements in your area
As part of the region-wide programme to improve pedestrian safety, we are proposing to upgrade a pedestrian crossing on Kepa Road to a raised zebra crossing. These changes aim to improve pedestrian safety in your neighbourhood.
We are proposing to:
- Move the crossing approximately 24 metres west from its current position near 152 Kepa Road. At the new location, we would install a raised zebra crossing, which is a pedestrian crossing on top of a wide, flat speed bump with a gentle slope for a smooth exit.
- Install a wide, flat speed bump on the Coates Avenue left turn lane.
- Install tactile pavers, which are yellow guidance markers that help visually impaired people find their way, at the new crossing.
- Paint new road markings and install signs to alert drivers to the crossing.
Our engineers have identified this crossing on Kepa Road as part of a programme to improve pedestrian safety across our city. This area has had a history of crashes over the last five years, and we have observed that the crossing is frequently used, especially by students of St Joseph’s School and their walking school bus.
By relocating the crossing to the west, we can install a raised zebra crossing, which increases the visibility of people crossing the road and makes drivers slow down as they approach the crossing. The raised table on Coates Avenue would help lower driving speeds before reaching the Coates Avenue-Kepa Road intersection and prepare drivers to stop at the pedestrian crossing if necessary. Together, these changes will improve the safety of the people walking and driving in the neighbourhood.
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it to Freepost using the address details on the form.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- This project is supported by the Regional Tax Fund.
Ōrākei: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Kepa Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).