Proposal status: Closed
Reference number: RSU2021-049
In November 2021, we proposed changes to improve pedestrian safety on Mount Smart Road. These changes were proposed as pedestrian crashes have occurred at this location. After reviewing all the feedback, we are proceeding with the work as proposed. These works will help support our Vision Zero goal.
What happens next?
We anticipate the changes will be constructed in this financial year ending June 2022. We will be in touch with local residents and businesses prior to any construction taking place.
We're proposing improvements in your area
Aucklanders have told us that moving around our city safely and easily is important to them. We are proposing some improvements to your area. To improve pedestrian safety on Mount Smart Road, Onehunga, we are proposing to upgrade the crossing facilities.
We are proposing to:
- Install a Swedish-style raised zebra crossing in place of the existing zebra crossing. A Swedish-style raised zebra crossing is a zebra crossing raised on a flat, wide speed bump that has a gentle exit to provide a smoother ride for road users.
- Reconstruct the existing footpath that connects to the proposed raised zebra crossing.
Auckland Transport would like to work with you to deliver safer roads in your neighbourhood. These changes are being proposed to improve pedestrian safety in the area as in the past five years, three young pedestrians have been involved in crashes at this location, two of which sustained minor injuries and one sustained a serious injury. The raised zebra crossing aims to improve driver’s visibility of pedestrians using the crossing, and pedestrian’s visibility of on-coming traffic. The new raised crossing would further slow drivers to a safer speed around the crossing point and provide a safer place for people to cross the street to access the local shops and Te Papapa School.
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it freepost using the address details on the form.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- This proposal is supported by the Auckland Regional Fuel Tax
Onehunga: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Mount Smart Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).