Consultation status: updated 7 June 2018
Proposal reference: BYL-246
We are proposing to relocate existing limit lines on Empire Road and to install broken yellow lines (No stopping at all times restrictions) around the intersection of The Drive and Empire Road in Epsom.
Why the changes are needed
This proposal will:
- Improve visibility for vehicles turning from Empire Road onto The Drive.
- Allow sufficient space for buses to safely manoeuvre into and out of the existing bus stops at this location. Thus, we expect that this proposal will significantly improve road safety at the intersection of Empire Road and The Drive.
The proposal received positive feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
- Concern that the bus shelter at bus stop 8639 (131 The Drive) reduces visibility for vehicles turning out of Empire Road. Based on our site investigations, we do not believe that the current location of the bus shelter significantly impacts driver visibility. Moreover, we expect that the relocation of limit lines on Empire Road will improve visibility for vehicles turning onto The Drive.
- Concern that installation of broken yellow lines at this location will result in further on-street parking issues elsewhere along The Drive. We do not expect that the proposal will have major impacts on the availability of on-street parking on surrounding streets. However, we will continue to monitor the situation and will respond to any safety and visibility concerns if they arise.
- Suggestion to prohibit on-street parking along arterial roads. The decision to completely ban parking along an arterial road is made on a case-by-case basis. We view on-street parking as a valuable community resource and aim to remove it only where it poses considerable visibility and safety concerns.
- Recommendation to install speed humps on Empire Road. Speeding has not been identified as a recurring issue at this location. As a result, we are unable to consider further speed calming measures at this stage.
- Requests for additional works including:
- Concern that congestion frequently develops along Gillies Avenue.
- Request to increase the frequency of the 299 bus to every 10 minutes between 6am and 9am, and to every 20 minutes from 9am onwards.
- Concern over the lack of a bus lane along Gillies Avenue.
- Request to re-examine the camber along Empire Road to the west of the intersection.
This proposal focuses on installation of broken yellow lines around the intersection of The Drive and Empire Road, in Epsom. While these requests do not fall within the scope of this proposal, we have passed your concerns onto the relevant AT team for further investigation.
We expect to introduce this work between July 2018 and June 2019, subject to further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will issue notices to all affected residents prior to construction work.