View Road, Mt Eden - Raised zebra crossing View Road, Mt Eden - Raised zebra crossing
Proposal status: Closed
Reference number: SSM2122-002
The construction of this project is now planned for April 2023. We're aiming to do most of the work during the school holidays to minimise disruption.
In August 2022, we proposed to upgrade the zebra crossing outside Ficino School to provide students with a safer crossing and promote safer speeds.
After reviewing all the feedback, we are proceeding with the work as proposed. These works will help support our Vision Zero goal.
What happens next
We anticipate the changes will be constructed between July 2023 and June 2024.
We will be in contact with you again closer to this time with a more precise start date.
Thank you for helping us make better decisions for your neighbourhood, informed by your local knowledge. Most of the respondents supported the proposed changes. People supported it because it would improve pedestrian safety, especially for children, the elderly and other vulnerable pedestrians.
The following is a summary of some of the suggestions we received and our responses to them.
- Suggestions that the current pedestrian crossing is adequate.
Raised zebra crossings have been proven to be an effective way of slowing vehicles to 30km/h or less. Slow speeds are essential to ensure pedestrian safety and the proposed upgrades will significantly improve pedestrian safety where they are most vulnerable.
- Suggestion to remove the island outside the shops at 151 Mt Eden Road and allow parking.
The traffic island at 151 Mt Eden Road helps minimise the length of parking restrictions required for the zebra crossing by shortening the crossing distance and allowing pedestrians to step into the roadway and look beyond the parked vehicles. Removal of the island would mean that more parking restrictions are required in this situation.
We’re proposing improvements in your area
We are proposing to:
- Install a zebra crossing on top of a speed bump, raised to the height of the footpath, outside 19 View Road. The speed bump is flat and wide with a long off ramp. This makes it more comfortable for larger vehicles and their passengers.
- Install tactile pavers which are yellow guidance paving markers. These help visually impaired people find their way to the crossing.
- Install road markings and signage to support the upgraded crossing.
- Plant new grass berms next to the crossing.
Download the proposal drawing for View Road (PDF 1.48MB).
Auckland Transport would like to work with you to deliver safer roads in your neighbourhood. This upgrade would provide a safer place for people to cross the road outside Ficino School, as it would:
- Slow motorists to a safer speed.
- Raise pedestrians, especially children, crossing the road to be at eye-level of approaching motorists, making them easier to see.
- Make it more comfortable for everyone, including people with prams and wheelchairs, to cross the road as the crossing is level with the footpath.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- This proposal is supported with funding from the Auckland regional fuel tax.
Mount Eden: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around View Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).