3 Muriwai Road, Waimauku – Pedestrian safety improvements 3 Muriwai Road, Waimauku – Pedestrian safety improvements
Proposal status: Feedback closed 6 December 2022
Reference number: 20100525
In November 2022, we proposed improving pedestrian safety on Muriwai Road by upgrading the existing zebra crossing outside Waimauku School. After considering community feedback, we are proceeding with the work as proposed.
These works will help support our Vision Zero goal.
What happens next
The proposal will now progress to the next stage of finalising the design. We will be in touch with local residents and businesses prior to any construction taking place.
Thank you for helping us make better decisions for your neighbourhood, informed by your local knowledge. The community agreed that the proposal would address speeding concerns in the area and make crossing the road and walking to school safer for kids and whānau of Waimauku School.
We received a concern about the advisory signs for the crossing and have answered.
- Suggestion to provide more warning signs to advise drivers about the school crossing ahead so they can slow down and prepare to stop.
In the final stage of design, we will look into installing additional school and pedestrian crossing signs to further improve awareness of the crossing.
We’re proposing improvements in your area
We are proposing to improve pedestrian safety in Muriwai Road by upgrading the existing zebra crossing outside Waimauku School.
We are proposing to:
- Replace the existing zebra crossing with a raised zebra crossing. We have had feedback about the steepness of ramps. For that reason, we’ve made some changes to ensure the slope of ramps at our crossings are gentle.
- Install tactile pavers, which are yellow guidance paving markers. These help visually impaired people find their way and safely cross the road.
- Install signage and road markings to inform oncoming motorists of the raised crossing.
- Install new catchpits on both sides of the crossing to help improve water catchment in the area.
Download proposal drawing for 3 Muriwai Road, Waimauku (PDF 1.49MB)
We would like to work with you to deliver safer roads in your neighbourhood. This proposal is an initiative of Auckland Transport that aims to improve the safety of pedestrians especially children from Waimauku School as it would:
- Encourage drivers to travel at a safer speed and give priority to crossing pedestrians.
- Raise pedestrians, especially children, crossing the road to be at eye-level of approaching motorists, making them easier to see from a distance.
- Improve visibility between motorists and people waiting to cross the road.
- Make it easier and more comfortable for people with prams and wheelchairs, to cross the road as the crossing is level with the footpath.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
This proposal is also supported by the Auckland regional fuel tax.
Waimauku: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads are safe for everyone. This proposal supports Tamaki Makaurau’s commitment to Vision Zero, an ambitious transport safety vision, with the goal of no deaths or serious injuries on our transport system by 2050.
This approach acknowledges that as people, we all make mistakes, however, a mistake should not mean someone dies or is seriously injured on our roads. It’s also an approach that values everyone using the road, not just those in vehicles. It is about caring for more vulnerable road users, like people walking or cycling, children and the elderly. Vision Zero is the international benchmark for transport safety.