Proposal status: Feedback open until 20 May 2022
Reference number: 20100384
We're proposing improvements in your area
In response to community requests, we are proposing to make some safety improvements to enhance pedestrian safety on Corinthian Drive, Albany. We are proposing to install a raised signalised crossing at 44 Corinthian Drive.
We are proposing to:
- Install a new raised crossing at 44 Corinthian Drive. A raised pedestrian crossing is a crossing on top of a wide, flat speed bump with a traffic island at the centre of the road and a gently sloping exit. This would be a dual crossing for both pedestrians and cyclists that connects the path between Spencer Ridge Reserve and Public Reserve.
- Install tactile pavers, which are yellow guidance markers at the sides of the road. These help visually impaired people to cross the road.
- Paint new road markings and install new signs to support the new crossing.
- Paint 69 meters of broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times) which will result in the removal of 12 parking spaces.
- Relocate the existing parking meter
- Widen the existing footpath on both sides of Corinthian Drive.
Auckland Transport would like to work with you to deliver safer roads in your neighbourhood. These changes aim to improve pedestrian safety and access to green spaces and local businesses, while encouraging walking and public transport use in Albany.
The raised pedestrian crossing at 44 Corinthian Drive would improve visibility of people crossing the road and slow drivers to a safer speed around the crossing point. The height of the raised crossing matches the footpath height, so it is comfortable for cyclists and pedestrians to cross, and the gentler slope on the exit side makes it comfortable to drive over, too. We understand that removing parking can be inconvenient, so we have minimised the removal of parking as much as possible.
What happens next
- We’ll listen to all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
Albany: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Corinthian Drive are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).